Charging

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Paul G80

Charging

Post by Paul G80 »

[?] Hi Everybody

I'm having problems (again) with my charging on my G80. This time I have continuity between the 2 connections on the dynamo and the 2 connectors to the regulator. The 6v battery is at 2.11 v and the output at raised tickover is 0.005v. Last time I sprayed WD40 on the armature and brushes and it came back to life but this time no such luck.[:(]

Over to the clever people.

Biscuit
Deceased

Charging

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Paul.

1. Your in the wrong Forum.

2. WD 40 is a moisture displacing medium, absolutely useless for lubrication, in my experience it goes to a sticky coating and eventually dries. Check to see if the brushes are sticking, remove the cover and gently pull the pigtails. If they are sticking the ONLY answer is removal and cleaning of brush and holder.

ranger

Charging

Post by ranger »

Hi Paul
Do not use WD40 on anything electrical. Apart from the above, it is known to break down certain electrical things. Should always use a dedicated electrical cleaner if at all.

Colin F

Charging

Post by Colin F »

If you have cleaner your brushes as advised and had no improvement it might be worth checking that the regulator points are clean and the "switches" are closing correctly to energise the field coils.