Stainless Steel

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
DWS

Stainless Steel

Post by DWS »

So, the bottom line is, does anyone know where one can buy decent stainless steel parts for AJS & Matchless motorcycles?
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
Eric

Stainless Steel

Post by Eric »

Did I say try ACME Stainless they advertise in Jampot.

They don't polish nuts & bolts to the same standard you mention for the BMW but many of the otherwise special parts are finished to a high standard or they were a few years ago.

Since I used them they now produce many more special items other than nuts,bolts & studs. The parts are generally as replacements for original chrome plated ones and are polished to resemble chromeEdited by - Eric on 22 Dec 2010 08:36:03 AM
rayswadling

Stainless Steel

Post by rayswadling »

I've just had ACME Stainless modify a wheel spindle for me.
I needed a BSA wheel spindle extended to be able to fit an 8" TLS brake to my 650.
They have added a 3/8" stainless extension that is threaded into the original spindle and machined to size. This gives the fork clamps something to grip on over their entire width.

The stainless portion looks just like chrome and has a mirror finish so on that basis they would be worth contacting to see if they can supply the parts you need at the required quality.
RayRST

Stainless Steel

Post by RayRST »

I use Custom Fasteners as they have a good range of SS, satin chrome and chrome nuts and bolts. They stock a good range of thread typesmetric, UNF, UNC Whitworth, BSFBSCY and BA. They have supplied all the SS nuts and bolts I am using on the restoration of my Sprite and have also supplied some SS for my 16M. The finish is a good quality polished on teh nuts and the bolt heads.
Regards
Ray Kell
DWS

Stainless Steel

Post by DWS »

I think the problem here is what I refer to as 'The Argos Effect", not being able to look at and inspect the product before buying. You pay up front and hope you are getting good quality. Sadly, as I have discovered over the last few months, in a lot of cases you don't.

On reflection, I think I am going to forget the stainless route and go with standard fittings.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all - Roll on Spring
tr7dan

Stainless Steel

Post by tr7dan »

Use http://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/ - you'll never use (or need) anyone else. He has a great range of cycle, BA, etc., every component is perfectly finished and polished to perfection and delivery is next day.

Dan
DWS

Stainless Steel

Post by DWS »

Dave Middleton is very good for general nuts and bolts etc. but it's the Matchless/AJS specific stainless parts that are hard to find. Dave Middleton doesn't do these.
mdt-son

Re: Stainless Steel

Post by mdt-son »

MPL (Molnar Precision Ltd) has a good range of fasteners and other stainless parts specifically for AMC bikes. Unfortunately no part numbers!!

-Knut
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Motalia have a very good range of stainless fasteners and the quality is excellent.
https://www.motalia.co.uk
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"MPL (Molnar Precision Ltd) has a good range of fasteners and other stainless parts specifically for AMC bikes. Unfortunately no part numbers!!"

Note that at the bottom of the price list on their website it says:

"All parts marked “N.L.A” are now available from the AJS & Matchless owners club spares scheme"

There are quirte a few.

Johnny B