Teledraulic Forks 1950

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
DWS

Teledraulic Forks 1950

Post by DWS »

Looking at my own stanchions they are quite badly pitted and scored and will probably need replacing so, having only recently noticed that Andrews list them I shall give them a call.
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
Peter Lecompte

Teledraulic Forks 1950

Post by Peter Lecompte »

What is the news from Andrew Eng. on Part no. 013348? I have made the 'special' socket and my bolts are all out. Ready to clean up all the other parts. Looking in my box of bits, I may have enough to build either set - with only buying certain parts. My question is... from experience, which damper design by AMC is the best and the most rideable/maintenance friendly? As it is internal to the forks, there is no visual apsect. And I want to be able to ride my AJS when it is finished. Thanks Peter
Don Madden

Teledraulic Forks 1950

Post by Don Madden »

The best, in my opinion, is the 1963-up scrambler long travel, which ride better than my modern Hinkley Bonneville even though I have installed the cartridge emulator kit. That is no doubt more than most need, but the internal cartridge type are better than the AMC shuttle design. Modern bikes use shuttle dampers but they are of more sophisticted design than the 1948-50 AMC. The 1956-up dampers are better than earlier type but are unlikely to fit into the 1-1/8in tubes used pre-1955. Cheers, Don.
Samuel

Teledraulic Forks 1950

Post by Samuel »

When I rebuilt the internals of my '49 G80 (shuttle version), Les at Russell Motors suggested I convert to the cartridge version as he had NOS parts to hand. So that is what I did and have had no problems since.
Sam
DWS

Teledraulic Forks 1950

Post by DWS »

Ordered my new shuttle valve stanchions from Andrews Engineering and picking them up soon.
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
roopgill

Re: Teledraulic Forks 1950

Post by roopgill »

Hello everyone, great help withe bottom bolt, I was thinking how to loosen that. Some more help, if someone would put some example photos of both kinds of forks the cartridge and shuttle type. I am restoring a 48 G80 and dismantled the forks and found difference between both tubes. Which one is the correct one?
DSC07254.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

When you rebuild them see if you can obtain phosphor bronze bushes to replace those plastic ones at the top, they are far better and will last a lot longer too, I did on my lightweight and have a really nice smooth fork action

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
roopgill

Post by roopgill »

Got the bottom bolt open with a 13mm socket. attached is the photo of the whole shock. Don't know if it is cartridge or Shuttle. Tried taking the bottom steel bush off by taking the circlip out but no luck, any help there?
DSC07256.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

DWS wrote:It appears that Andrews Engineering supply the correct '48-'50 Shuttle Valve Stanchions - part number 013348. Worth checking out.
They did but are retiring at the end of the year and do not have any left. I tried this morning 06/09/18 i am trying to source a pair elsewhere but no joy with AMC spares or Russell Motors. If I can remove the shuttle valve locating sleeve from my forks I will have them hard chromed and re ground.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

roopgill wrote:Got the bottom bolt open with a 13mm socket. attached is the photo of the whole shock. Don't know if it is cartridge or Shuttle. Tried taking the bottom steel bush off by taking the circlip out but no luck, any help there?
DSC07256.jpg
Those shown are not the shuttle valve type you have the internal damper rod and cartridge. Once you have the circlip off the bottom bush should pull off.