What's Pluto Worth?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
CR

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by CR »

Well chaps, and Janet of course, those like me who didn't watch the World Cup Final on Sunday night might have noticed that Pluto didn't sell on Ebay. It was viewed by well over 2000 people and had 159 watchers at the end of the auction. The highest bid achieved was £7200.

My reserve was a tad higher.

Typesetting the Member's Mart adverts each month I keep a watch on marque prices and they're probably at an all time high this year. A good 350 is selling for c £2300. A good 500 single is selling for at least £2750 and a 650 CSR is selling for £4500. Many prices are much higher and are being achieved. This year Kettering Classics have sold a P11 for £8.5k.

So my question to you all is simple. What is Pluto worth? I know it's worth what somebody will pay for it...yawn...but seriously, what's your view? I don't want to sell it cheap, but I do want to move it on.

By all means ask questions.
kernow kid

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by kernow kid »

Having spoken to CR about aforementioned Disney dog...umm..maybe a bad analagy there!
I'm sure CR told me about all the very new, good bits in the engine too.
Well, Id have to say, currently, comparing it to other AMC kit and general Brit tackle, that £10,000 has to be feasible.
I would think its biggest drawback, value wise, is that just not enough people in the Classic scene are aware of it!
Factory special Trumpets and Beezers, triples and twins, seem to pop up quite often and get snapped up at prices in this area.
I think it needs a little legacy..i.e. some historical link to someone well known in classic circles...
Hmmm..how about letting FW ride it for a week?? Wouldnt that add a grand or 2 to the value - 'Ridden by Frank Westworth on his legendary journey across the UK in search of Norton Rotary coils'
That should do it!
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
CR

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by CR »

"Let Frank ride it for a week"...gulp...I'm trying to keep its value up! I reckoned on about £10k too. Any other thoughts?
john

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by john »

10K, I could see it going for that.

KK right it has to be offered to the right audience. Perhaps a Historical motorcycle auction would generate the right interest.

I think marketing it as a reconstruction of the one off factory test bike would help. As I think (in my humble opinion) some of the more modern additions would make it harder to sell.

But it is a great problem to have; it has a place in my fantasy classic bike garage.

John T
itma

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by itma »

"how about letting FW ride it for a week?? Wouldnt that add a grand or 2 to the value"

why would it?
GOLDSTAR

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by GOLDSTAR »

CR how does one value it? when I contacted you, as I said swmbo just would'nt stake me for 10K, she is pretty good but that was just to much for her to swallow, I suppose £7200 was'nt that bad really just so difficult to quantify such an unique item, have any of the auction houses valued it? such a shame just to see it go into a private closed collection, kind regards
kernow kid

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by kernow kid »

quote:
"how about letting FW ride it for a week?? Wouldnt that add a grand or 2 to the value"

why would it?

I thought bikes with interesting, documented history of being ridden by well respected, skilled, enigmatic characters from the biking world are worth more...

On reflection Ken, you are dead right!!
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
GOLDSTAR

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Itma I'm with you re F.W. kind regards
SPRIDDLER

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

How do you conclude that £7200 is 'cheap'? What are you comparing it with? Surely it's only the frame that's unique? Exclusivity/uniqueness has only so much value and then maybe only to collectors/investors - (although of no interest whatsoever to me - I'd be afraid to take it out in the rain - or even ride it at all).
If you want to "move it on" why not move it on loan to the Sammy Miller museum?
Or is 'moving it on' a euphemism for maximising the return whilst the market's buoyant?
A rear carrier for a rigid sold for 300 quid on eBay last week; I've got one I'd be happy to 'move on' for about 300 quid...Since I don't want to sell it cheap maybe I should put an ad in ' Country Life' to expose it to an appropriately affluent audience.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 12 Jul 2010 11:07:10 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by GOLDSTAR »

hey Sprids I've just made a couple shall we advertiset them as a job lot say special offer buy two get one free? kind regards