What's Pluto Worth?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
model26

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by model26 »

For a bike of that rarity, I wounldn't bother with anyone, except www.bonhams.com

Yes, high commission, but that is off-set against high sale prices and top notch advertising amongst the correct audience.

ebay is only as good as the punters who happen to be looking at the time.

CR

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by CR »

quote: Or is 'moving it on' a euphemism for maximising the return whilst the market's buoyant?

Yes...too right. I believe that altruism exists in small pockets of humankind and if somebody here wants to buy Pluto in order to donate it to a museum, that would be fine by me.

It's been pointed out offline that Colin Seeley is a valuer for Bonhams, so that might be a good route to take.

So the question progresses. Which would add the greater value - a week with Frank W or a valuation by Bonhams? Bear in mind that Frank has already ridden the machine once and expressed his opinion in print.
itma

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by itma »

I think you would have done better by either stating your reserve in the advert, or listing it as a classified advert.

Also it should not be a private listing for the reason that bidders will be shy of putting in a bid against what might after all be a couple of your mates.
Private listing in eBay Motors cats puts people off. I have been stung by shill bidders on private listings.

Model26 is also spot on in that it very much depends on who is looking on eBay at the time you are selling.Maybe all the wealthy buyers are off on holiday somewhere? July August is always a quiet time for sales

Myself I would re-list it as a classified ad with offers invited before you go to Bonhams.

Bonhams like any of the big auction houses sell you their expertise and marketing know how which is why the costs are so much; putting Colin Seely's mark on it will do it far more good than the editor of an obscure low circulation subscription magazine, whose readers, from my occasional reading of the site that goes with it are more interested in Enfields, 250 BSA's ,chopped about custom bikes, and air raid shelters.

[ That's not a personal dig at anyone even if it reads like it]

They also market world wide and if you want a very good price you will have to be prepared for it to go out the UK.
You may also end up, after all the deductions costs etc that they pile on with little more than you have reached anyway; just checkout what they charge for photos and insurances for a start.
I had a hand years back in the sale of some art work, and personally I reckon after all costs, [nearly 3k out of 11k], I could have done better hawking it around St James St myself.

Also I think that the very rarity of it works agin it, 10k Bonnevilles are bought for reasons of nostalgia/ the toy you didn't get/ reputation deserved or not/ belief its an investment.

No one has had one before so there is nothing to compare it with.No imagined legend, no nostalgia no rockers memories.

I think it might top out at 8k, and I never ever thought I would see an old bike of any sort being spoken of in those price ranges. I am weeping at the thought of all those I struggled to get 300 quid for.

1979 I told the bloke who paid 1000£ for a 7R he had been well done.
Shows how much I knew.
Lastly,2 years ago would you ever have thought it was worth anything like 7600?
Its all going mad.

Edited by - itma on 13 Jul 2010 3:04:15 PM
kernow kid

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by kernow kid »

Whoa!! Just a minute chaps! Ive got a niggly feeling that some people thought I was being serious about FW's name adding value.
Ive only dragged him into the topic because I think he may owe me a cup of coffee at Piers Cafe!
Disregard my FW remarks as me trying to be funny...

Yes, a valuation from Colin Seeley must surely be far more useful.

Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
rex.webb

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by rex.webb »

Can i get a copy of Franks Test please ??
Not that i am going to buy it "BUT" someone may ask me about it.
By the way "WHAT happened to the TWIN that ERNIE DORSETT HAD" ?????
It had lots of "SPECIAL PART,S !!!.
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
CR

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by CR »

Rex, you'd need to ask Frank and Rowena for the back issue of Real Classic containing the test report. But they do charge for back issues (if they still have them). Contact them at RCHQ@RealClassic.net
Samuel

What's Pluto Worth?

Post by Samuel »

See http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html - Review is in issues 11 and 12
Sam
mdt-son

Re: What's Pluto Worth?

Post by mdt-son »

Samuel wrote:See http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html - Review is in issues 11 and 12
Real Classic Magazine, Issue 11 and 12, February and March 2005

-Knut