Top Speed

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
needlongerlegs

Top Speed

Post by needlongerlegs »

quote:
No " Triumphs" have been made after 1970.

Rubbish...

On August 8th 1973 I partd with £412 and I picked up the best Triumph ever made........

My brand new T100R

It ate Comandos for breakfast, left Bonnies vibrating to bits behind it, rev'd to 8000 rpm did 135 in top LOL (laugthing out loud) the older I get the Faster the Daytona was, o where are you now TUV71M

LOL

NLL AKA "The Daytona Demon"

PS Hinkley Bonnies Rock,Edited by - needlongerlegs on 08 Sep 2009 9:10:29 PM
Born to be Mild
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Hopefully scrapped
The piston ring King
56G80S

Top Speed

Post by 56G80S »

I'm late in on this one, but my wife liked the TR6P (ex police from old friends Pride & Clarke) better than any other motorcycle - including the Matchless.

But the way the Police mechanics had left the inner race on the timing side main bearing and just replaced the outer didn't amuse me. Not when I had the job to do properly.

It did go round corners very well and perhaps it was the homemade seat I fitted for her where the radio used to be....

Johnny B

itma

Top Speed

Post by itma »

quote: But the way the Police mechanics had left the inner race on the timing side main bearing and just replaced the outer didn't amuse me

quite right, a nice bike, T 120 cams, 7.5 pistons and a wide ratio box if it was ex met polis
but not one of mine I can assure you.
But surely you have your mains mixed up?
Ball on the T/s roller on the drive side.

But often we fitted a ball on both sides as it made a livelier motor at the cost of slightly shorter bearing life.

then again anything you got from Snides had to be suspect.
Do you remember the reg?Edited by - itma on 09 Sep 2009 11:56:04 AM
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

this forum's going the same way as all the rags in WH Smiths,Triumph, Triumph,Triumph.
The piston ring King
Yorkie

Top Speed

Post by Yorkie »

quote:
No " Triumphs" have been made after 1970.

Sorry, gotta add my tuppence worth.....I've had my '72 T120R for 25 yrs, on the road virtually all that time in different guises, loved it when i got it, love it now. It's got all the 'bad' bits, the 'too high' early oil in frame, thin seat, conical hub brakes, it vibrates enough to numb the hands (and bum!) on longer rides... but it sounds great, goes & handles really well. And i've never yet had to use the Carol Nash recovery service! (now i've said that it'll probably break down next time i ride it!)

Oh, and I love my 18S too, but for totally different reasons....
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Can we have a Coventry and Hinckley free day?
The piston ring King
Yorkie

Top Speed

Post by Yorkie »

Maybe i'll pop down the road to Plumstead at lunchtime and see if i get any 'divine inspiration' to cure my Meriden addiction

Steve
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Don't go on your bike it'll be gone in nano seconds.
the best inspiration to cure meridenitus would be counting how many fasteners it takes to hold the rockerboxes on, 8 stud,9stud,10stud cylinders they all crack. 3,000 fibre washers per motor and a meccano type oil pump. Finally the real scary thing is the motors are the best thing on em.Edited by - Rick.Edwards on 09 Sep 2009 12:04:49 PM
The piston ring King
itma

Top Speed

Post by itma »

Interesting outlook from Rick.

Every year late 60s/early 70s at the Met Lambeth garage I [we ]took six bikes out of service, and prepared and entered them into long distance trials such as the ISDT, The Welsh 3 day, Services trial etc plus a couple of overseas ones.
We had 12 bikes in the team, last years going as reserves and that previous reserve six having all the old tat nailed back on to make them road bikes of a sort, and they were knocked out via auction.

one thing were were never plagued with was lost rocker box caps;split rocker boxes, holed pistons, or oil leaks.
Rocker box caps had old O rings from carbs fitted an then done up with a tool I still have, just a bit of angle iron on a stick.
The flat spring was always checked to be in contact with the edge of the cap.
Never lost one, and the oil tightness after the event was always commented on favourably.
Mostly when we went out it was on time, crashes, sheer exhaustion of the rider, and occasionally electrical failure.

Only standard police issue spares were allowed, although there was a good deal of mix and match from other Triumphs, especially on forks.
The team won many medals, if rarely golds, and did bloody well riding 650 Triumphs for six days up against works MZs and the like.
You needed to be a fit 6ft copper to ride one.
They were only a fraction faster than the MZs and the Triumphs relied on their top speed of 90 plus at the speed test end of the trial to make up points.
I was very proud of what we did with those bikes and had a damn good few years working with them; sadly political interference from above finished it all.

Its how you put them together that matters. not everybody can. But they think they can.

Hinckley? whats that?