Mystery V twin

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Chris Jordan.

Mystery V twin

Post by Chris Jordan. »

Last weekend I saw one of the nicest old bikes I have ever seen, it was an AJS V twin, solid rear end,I think teles at the front and a front brake that looked like it would do somethin useful unlike may old bikes! two into one exhaust. Looked and sounded wonderful. It had a large '45' on the tank but little other to identify it. I only saw it for a few moments in a garage near Hereford and didn't get a chance to talk to the rider. I guess it was early 1940s but may be wrong. Anybody got any ideas?
Chris
Rohan B.

Mystery V twin

Post by Rohan B. »

Well, a couple of questions from what you say. Was it definitely an AJS ?? Were the front forks and front brake AJS ?? AJS v-twin manufacture stopped at start of WW2, always with girder forks (I think ?).

My guess, without seeing it at all, was that it could be a Harley WLA model ??? (wartime military sidevalve model, and 45 Cubic inches, 750cc). Often fitted with telescopic forks and decent front brake, sometimes as a "chopper".... I could be way off beam here, but I didn't see it, and that 45 on the tank is very suggestive. Someone in our club here has a similar WLA, in a restrained deep metalflake blue, totally oiltight. Very impressive, looks totally factory unless you know.

Course, it could always be a pre-war AJS v-twin fitted with telescopic forks, correct telescopic forks can be hard to find.

hopethishelps,
Rohan.