1938 Silver Streak Chaincase.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ianw1

1938 Silver Streak Chaincase.

Post by ianw1 »

I fitted the neoprene chaincase seal a couple of day's ago, no leak from the seal.
But what has shown up is a slight leak from the rear of the inner chaincase to the engine. This is the last oil leak.
I hate having oil leaks so I will have to cure it. Before I attack it, is there a gasket or seal behind there?
Is there anything to be carefull of while I strip the clutch & primary drive down? Many thanks.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1938 Silver Streak Chaincase.

Post by Rob Harknett »

Something to think about. The chain case oil level is below the level of the point the chain case buts up against the crank case. But this is your only oil leak. How come oil is forcing its way out here, but not the dynamo and gear shaft holes.? Oil is seeping through engine bearing perhaps.
There is no gasket
Make sure you fit the correct 3 bolts with locking plates, that fix the inner chain case to the crank case.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Sorry Rob, I've mislead you. I havent started the engine yet, the oil leaks I have are without the engine running so there will be more leaks possilby once I start the engine. I'm just curing the static oil leaks. Is the primary strip down staight forward?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You may not be aware that in Christians Archive there are workshop manuals for your machine which are worth browsing......

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop_manuals/

This is just one of them from the above link. It's by F W Neill who was Service Manager and contains reliable and practical info.......

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... ndbook.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ianw1 wrote:Sorry Rob, I've mislead you. I havent started the engine yet, the oil leaks I have are without the engine running so there will be more leaks possilby once I start the engine. I'm just curing the static oil leaks. Is the primary strip down staight forward?
emmm, as the engine has not been started, and the oil level is below the level where it appear's to leak , the leak must be via the engine bearing.
Oil level in the engine being raised to bearing level while standing, by sumping oil. I have a G12CSR that sumps oil and fills the chain case when standing.
Like many others, I have fitted a tap that can be turned off, to prevent oil sumping. Drain the engine sump of oil and see how much comes out. You my notice if the oil tank level has dropped since filling it.