Paddock starter

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
dave16mct

Paddock starter

Post by dave16mct »

I finished this 'paddock starter' a couple of weeks ago to help my creeky knees. It works a treat! The frame is welded using some scrap 2X1" tubing. The pillow block bearings were a bargain buy from ebay as were the sprocket blanks. Chains are old bike primary ones (why did I keep them?). I turned the spindles down to 20mm from some scrap thicker steel. I bought the motor in Machine Mart's sale. All the rollers were turned from 50mm polypropeline rod.
email me if you want pics.
Dave.
ColourNcoat

Re: Paddock starter

Post by ColourNcoat »

dave16mct wrote:I finished this 'paddock starter' a couple of weeks ago to help my creeky knees. It works a treat! The frame is welded using some scrap 2X1" tubing. The pillow block bearings were a bargain buy from ebay as were the sprocket blanks. Chains are old bike primary ones (why did I keep them?). I turned the spindles down to 20mm from some scrap thicker steel. I bought the motor in Machine Mart's sale. All the rollers were turned from 50mm polypropeline rod.
Dave.

Dave that is an absolute gem. I need one now as I started my bike yesterday with a pair of crocks on and thought I broke my toe.
It is swollen and all colours :oops: Kick back hurts :D
Great job :beer:
Regards

P.S there was a picture....I'm not going mad am I?
Roger
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

No you're not going mad. I was tipped off that there were some links to iffy sites on there, so I deleted it. I can email pics to you if you email me.
Dave.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I've put a picture in the photos section.
Dave.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

What size motor did you use, Dave? A mate of mine has built one (not as neat as that one to be fair) but only has a 1hp Brooks Gryphon on it. It'lL cope with his G3 but chucks its hand in when it comes to his Enfield Constellation or BSA 650. I'd be guessing at 2 or 3hp being needed.

Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Well I had a massive old motor that I thought would be fine but....no chance! I messed about with gearing but it just didn't have the umph. So I forked out for a new 2hp 1500 rpm from Machine Mart and changed the gearing to 1 to 1. I couldn't start my 18CS at all on the kickstart after it's lockdown rebuild. It fired up no problem on the paddock starter.
I think though for a Constellation a 3hp might be needed.
Dave.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks, Dave, I'll let him know.

Steve
bunners

Post by bunners »

Dave
A couple of things if I may,

1 What are the four penny washers for will they not cut the tyre wall?

2 I made one of these very similar to yours but I use rubber rollers but it would
not start my Triumph TR7RV 750cc and the rubbers melted where did you get the stuff you used
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
clive

Post by clive »

Dave how do you start to go home after the tea stop? Brilliant looking build though, could do with something similar for my G15 when its cold.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Bunners,
the 'penny washers' are thick polypropeline rollers. I had metal guides at first and it was marking the tyre slightly. They're free spinning so if the tyre slides that way they just spin. The 750 Triumph motor has got quite a bit of compression and I would think a 3hp 4 pole motor would be needed. The rollers are polypropeline turned on my lathe. I think you can buy it on ebay. It's like a type of nylon. What gearing did you try?
Haha, Clive I new someone would say that! :lol: Thing is I couldn't start my 500 CS at all (the scars have almost gone now). So I had to try something. It starts it easily on the contraption and I'm hoping it'll get easier to start on the kicker. My CSR was almost impossible to start as well but I fitted Boyer Bransden instead of the (newly rebuilt) mag and it started first kick.
Dave.