retrofit indicator headlight dip horn switch

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

retrofit indicator headlight dip horn switch

Post by 56G80S »

Hi All

Although I've lots of other things to do, I saw this on Fleabay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-Matchles ... 3952089123

I currently have a Paul Goff plastic switch (the cheap all purpose one) it works but I don't really like it and it's awkward with the valve lifter lever.

I wonder if anyone's tried these and what their opinion was?

JohnnyB
Reynard24

Re: retrofit indicator headlight dip horn switch

Post by Reynard24 »

I've used them on both singles and twins. You do have to be a bit inventive with the valve lifter and they come with a multi-way connector that you have to crimp the connectors for so unless you have the right tool it can be a bit of a faff unless you're a wizard with a fine point soldering iron. You could of course just use standard bullet connectors either crimped or soldered.
The cables are a bit thin if you are wiring directly - dip and main beam for example, but I use relays so they are fine for just energizing the relay coils rather than the full load that the bulb would draw, having said that if you're using LEDs then they would probably be fine.
Operation is really easy and unlike the later Lucas switches you don't need a mutant thumb.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

B****r! I have just rewired my 18S using the black plastic Paul Goff switch which works well but doesn't look the part, when I could have used one that does look right. May investigate some time. Andy
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

A friend has one of those on his Model 20. It seems easy enough to use, the only problem he's had is just occasionally the indicator switch doesn't make contact and requires a bit of wiggling to and fro.

Malc
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Don't fit a wide unit-makes pulling in the clutch difficult! I did notice the one shown did not have a headlamp flasher which can be useful I fitted one off a royal enfield on one bike and one off an old 125 !Do not take these switches apart if you can help it-unless you have the fingers of a young female factory worker!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers Reynard - I think I might splash out on one.

As you say, Paul G's works OK but is not very appropriate or good looking.

JohnnyB
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

I bought a simular one in plastic. I found it was brilliant, everything at a flick of the thumb. :D

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
whitebrian

Post by whitebrian »

I've just fitted one of these to the Venom that I am building, as I have fitted small winkers to it (which also came from eBay China), and I'm very impressed with the switch for the price it was on eBay (around £9). If you search on eBay you can get one direct from China where it is cheaper, but it does take a few weeks, but worth the wait. May fit one to my AJS in the end too. The external quality is not 100%, but it does blend in well with a 60's look. Had to extend the wiring as it was too short, but as I am an electrician I eventually took it to bits and rewired it with long, thin wall cable and thinner , black sleeving. Works well and I'm pleased I went for this one, considering the choice and prices you can pay. Have no problem with the levers etc getting in the way.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Brian, thanks.

The one I saw was £16 plus £3.50 P&P. Any chance you could post a link to the £9 job?

Cheers

Johnny B