petrol tank retaining bolts

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
dave16mct

Re: petrol tank retaining bolts

Post by dave16mct »

No my wire is never as neat as Mick's. I drape it over the frame quite loose. Then twist the ends in the middle so I can't get my fingers on it.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ianw1 wrote:I thought that's what they were. I don't have any on my 1938 Silver Streak, would you recommend I fit them?
What is " they " Prewar inc. Silver Streak has different parts and bolts, like this. Different bolt which acts as bottom washer also, washer below thick rubber, no sleeve in thick rubber. Rubbers may differ in thickness etc. No sleeve needed with the old tab / washer type bolts. They are fitted by hand only. You are not likely to over tighten and compress, by hand, let alone tighten until you hit the tank bottom. So don't be too heavy handed using a spanner to tighten hex head bolts.
pet tank fittings.jpg
PS Some models have 3 hex head bolts and one old type tab/washer type bolt. The latter used on the RH rear possition, as it is very difficult to get a spanner on a hex head bolt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:No my wire is never as neat as Mick's. I drape it over the frame quite loose. Then twist the ends in the middle so I can't get my fingers on it.
Dave.
Same as I do then Mick, each bolt wired to frame, but I put two wires on. Can be fiddly twisting the wires. I use those forceps you can find cheap. Lock them on the wire to twist it, as you do the special pliers for wire twisting. Not a purist after all am I, don't do everything by the book