Helen and Rod Towers in accident.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
dave16mct

Helen and Rod Towers in accident.

Post by dave16mct »

My wife read on facebook that Helen and Rod Towers from the Scottish Section have had a road traffic accident. I don't know the details but we wish them both a speedy recovery.
Dave & Rose.
alanjennings

Re: Helen and Rod Towers in accident.

Post by alanjennings »

We visited them in August on our way back from Shetland! Hope it is not serious!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Crap. I really hope all's well. I'll text Willie Cruickshank who may know.

Johnny B

Reply from Willie, he'll look into it and let me know.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

On Friday 18th Sept Rod and Helen Towers were involved in a road traffic accident on the Cowdenbeath to Kelty road. Apparently a car turned to the right in front of Rod who was on the oncoming carriageway on his Matchless G11 with Helen on the back. Rod crashed into the car, local police and ambulance were called and Rod and Helen were taken to the Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy. The Cowdenbeath police contacted me and informed me of the incident within an hour of the accident as Rod and Helen was en-route to a meeting I organised. Rod has had an operation for a broken femur (possibly a broken pelvis but this is unconfirmed) and wrist, Helen has also a broken femur and elbow among other injuries. Both are expecting to stay in hospital for a considerable time, Helen said it may be months as she is not weight bearing on arm or leg.

Regards
Dennis Jackson
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I wish them both a speedy and full recovery.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Highlander wrote:On Friday 18th Sept Rod and Helen Towers were involved in a road traffic accident on the Cowdenbeath to Kelty road. Apparently a car turned to the right in front of Rod who was on the oncoming carriageway on his Matchless G11 with Helen on the back. Rod crashed into the car, local police and ambulance were called and Rod and Helen were taken to the Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy. The Cowdenbeath police contacted me and informed me of the incident within an hour of the accident as Rod and Helen was en-route to a meeting I organised. Rod has had an operation for a broken femur (possibly a broken pelvis but this is unconfirmed) and wrist, Helen has also a broken femur and elbow among other injuries. Both are expecting to stay in hospital for a considerable time, Helen said it may be months as she is not weight bearing on arm or leg.

Regards
Dennis Jackson
Hi Dennis when you next see them give them all our best.
Roy
raffles

Post by raffles »

Thanks for the update Dennis. Please pass on my best wishes for a good recovery for them both.
Tony
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Dennis, thanks.

I'd spoken with Willie but had to leave home before I could post.

Please give them my best wishes for a speedy recovery. As you say, it's expected Helen could take longer to leave hospital.

Johnny B
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Very sad to read of this accident and wish them both a speedy recovery and not too long in hospital.

Just a note:
I now ride with LED side light turned on all the time. Drivers seem to pick up on the bright white light reasonably well, so worth the cost of an LED unit.

I don't visit the site very often so please excuse my late response.
Redrock

Post by Redrock »

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes.

I'm now at home with my son, his wife and daughter looking after me. My left wrist is all plastered and wired up and I won't be able too use it for another month or so. I need to use a crutch while walking so cooking, cleaning etc are best left to the fit and able. My Pelvis was not broken however, the hip joint was damaged so badly it was removed and I have a replacement hip now. Helen is still in hospital care as she will not be able to stand on her left leg for around another 5 weeks, coupled with her broken elbow she has extra care needs. We are both grateful to still be alive.

The accident was much as described in the previous posts, the only thing to add is that the police are reporting the other driver for Dangerous Driving.

Rod & Helen Towers