Osram Ultra Life H4

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Osram Ultra Life H4

Post by 56G80S »

Anyone used these or other "long life" halogens?

Was out on the Yamaha Tuesday night and just as twilight came in the dip beam failed. Consequently turn round and rapid return home; annoyance to oncoming traffic. Made it just as it became very dark.

Unlike the Matchless, you either need very small hands or a complicated extraction of the headlamp. So I thought to fit longer life bulb but don't feel the need for spending £40 plus p&p or more on LED from Goffy or other suppliers. Twin pack of the Osrams £14 plus p&p. Fit one, carry one. I did have a spare with me, just too much of a faff when only 15 miles from home

The standard H4 in the Yamaha is like daylight compared to the Matchless. When the mechanicals are done, I'll be addressing the AMC lighting.

Johnny B
56G80S

Re: Osram Ultra Life H4

Post by 56G80S »

Bought a pair anyway.

Time will tell......................................................................

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

H4 of whatever quality in a modern headlamp is probably better than an led that is not always a good beam pattern plus the yam has plenty of Watts!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers, Alan.

It's really the longevity part that I want. Had a couple of problems with car bulbs recently. I'm looking for something robust that I would change after, say two years, regardless so that I don't find myself in the dark on a wet motorway trying to change a bulb.

Keep your travel reports going.

Johnny B
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Is there the option to push the headlamp alignment down a little and drive home on main beam, (now in the dip position)?

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

On the XJ600S, there's a handlebar fairing. Had it been a XJ600N then that also would've been an option as the N is for naked. Ironically, the Yamaha fairing is nowhere as good as the Avon fairing on the Matchless; in fact I'm thinking of fitting a taller screen to the Yamaha as all it seems to do is make wind noise and provide no protection. On the Matchless, I would've popped in another bulb, simple to do and leave the pilot on to see what I was doing.

Johnny B
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Three or four years ago I bought a pair of 12v 60/55w H4 halogen headlight bulbs from Halfords. They were in a bubble pack and labelled "Heavy Duty". I've not used them in my AMC machines but one has been in my Triumph Bonneville since I bought them... The second is kept as a spare.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Tungsten filament light bulbs should be replaced every few years as the tungsten oxidizes and coats the inside of the glass bulb, slowly darkening it. This effect can be seen speeded up when a bulb 'blows'.The addition of a halogen to the inert gas inside the bulb is to get the oxidized tungsten to migrate back to the filament. This process requires high temperature and the operating voltage is critical, so in our old 'bikes with their imperfect electrics you can't expect the bulbs to last as long as they should.

Rob C
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks for both of those comments. I might give the Halfords a go, I've boughgt the odd tool from them over the last year and much better than they used to be.

But, I think Rob's point is a very good one and an approach I may adopt. I'd rather replace as a "service item" when it's my choice than fiddle around in the dark (and inevitably wet) when it's not my choice! On that front, glad I did the Yamaha earlier today. I now know how to go about it should the emergency arise.

The Osram bulbs were very well packaged. I think it bore out Rpb's comment. Although only just over the consumption figure needed to support the wattage figure, it appeared brighter than the one (one filament remaining) I took out.

Let's see (!) how it goes.

Cheers

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks for both of those comments. I might give the Halfords a go, I've boughgt the odd tool from them over the last year and much better than they used to be.

But, I think Rob's point is a very good one and an approach I may adopt. I'd rather replace as a "service item" when it's my choice than fiddle around in the dark (and inevitably wet) when it's not my choice! On that front, glad I did the Yamaha earlier today. I now know how to go about it should the emergency arise.

The Osram bulbs were very well packaged. I think it bore out Rob's comment. Although only just over the consumption figure needed to support the wattage figure, it appeared brighter than the one (one filament remaining) I took out.

Let's see (!) how it goes.

Cheers

Johnny B