16M needs a brake light

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
neilp

16M needs a brake light

Post by neilp »

Hi All - this might be a strange request.

i recently bought a lovely 1957 AJS 16M Flat Tracker - although registered for road use it has no front light or brake light. It has no battery or dynamo. i want to drive her on the road so keen to fit a rear brake light for obvious safety reasons - however i don't want to spoil her looks by adding more than i need. Not worried about the front light as unlikely to drive at night. But i do want a light on the back.

Has anyone got any great ideas how i can put an LED brake light on her without a huge battery?

N
Mick D

Re: 16M needs a brake light

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You can get self contained LED rear lights intended for pedal cycles that operate off of two AA internal batteries - all you need to do is wire in a brake operated switch.

Not sure about the legality of this approach though.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Oddly enough I'm currently building a very similar thing from bits as I'm not autojumbling. There is no legal requirement for a rear light if only for daytime use and you have it MOT'd as such. The only legal requirement is a horn and I'm fitting a bulb type as there is no electric being fitted at all.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Rob

It's the legality of the components used on a road vehicle that I am unsure of - I know from my kit car that lights are required to be of a minimum specification, (E marked), Whether this would be picked up by the authorities or an MOT testing station, I don't know.

There are also requirements to show reflectors to the rear if lights are fitted.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The bike has to have a reflector and a horn as far as the requirements are concerned. If any lights are fitted then they have to conform to legal E specifications etc. That said I think it's all just words as most of my bikes have LED's fitted and every year they pass the MOT and have never ever been picked up as having no E markings.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

If a horn is fitted, it need to be of 'continuous tone'. A bulb horn should not pass an MOT for most but the earliest of vehicles
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanengineer wrote:If a horn is fitted, it need to be of 'continuous tone'. A bulb horn should not pass an MOT for most but the earliest of vehicles
I had one of these on my yacht.....very loud!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
alanengineer wrote:If a horn is fitted, it need to be of 'continuous tone'. A bulb horn should not pass an MOT for most but the earliest of vehicles
I had one of these on my yacht.....very loud!
According to Mr B I already carry one of those in my pants! Well he said it sounds very similar anyway!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Not so Alan.

Motorcycles first used before 1 August 1973 can have a bulb horn as the audible warning.