A proper bodge today

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

Re: A proper bodge today

Post by 1608 »

Andy, it probably didn't help by carrying a pair of Molegrips around with you. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You should know by now that you don't break down when you have no tools with you.That said, I can't quite see the point of taping a spare cable next to the one fitted and exposing it to the weather unnecessarily. Keep it coiled up wrapped in greasy paper in the tool box ( but no tools :rofl: ) As an aside though, if carrying a spare clutch cable make sure that the nipple will enter the gear-box. I sat at the side of the road in the dark one night trying to file the nipple down using the kerbside.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I thought the practice, described by another member on here, of keeping spare cables coiled up inside the head lamp shell was inspirational.

Handlebars are another available space for the likes of tie wraps, wire etc.

Regards Mick
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I thought the practice, described by another member on here, of keeping spare cables coiled up inside the head lamp shell was inspirational.

Handlebars are another available space for the likes of tie wraps, wire etc.

Regards Mick
If you see it from different eyes for a minute Mick and John etc,-i.e. someone with a modern vehicle (motorbike, car or whatever) who wouldn't have a clue what we're on about and could be reading this, it must seem like we're aliens!

The only worries they have about getting home is the weather and traffic-not a vehicle malfunctioning.

I think it's brilliant that we're still persevering with this hobby. A cross between Wallace and Gromit and Dad's Army. I love it. I suppose I love it because I don't have to rely on these machines to get to work now...
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

1608 wrote:Andy, it probably didn't help by carrying a pair of Molegrips around with you. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You should know by now that you don't break down when you have no tools with you.That said, I can't quite see the point of taping a spare cable next to the one fitted and exposing it to the weather unnecessarily. Keep it coiled up wrapped in greasy paper in the tool box ( but no tools :rofl: ) As an aside though, if carrying a spare clutch cable make sure that the nipple will enter the gear-box. I sat at the side of the road in the dark one night trying to file the nipple down using the kerbside.
John, have you seen the size of the toolbox on an AJS? :rofl:

A few years ago I saw a couple of German fellas on a tour of Europe on Puch Maxis in the car park of Tescos in Colchester. They were swapping the engine they were carrying! I admired them.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

1608 wrote:I can't quite see the point of taping a spare cable next to the one fitted and exposing it to the weather unnecessarily.
I see your point John but in practice it doesn't seem to have affected the only taped one I've had to use.
On second thoughts I've only taped clutch and throttle cables, not the front brake one. Probably because feeding them under the tank, even taped to the old one as a mouse can be tricky. On third thoughts and in extremis those cables don't have to be routed under the tank to get one home. I have read that if a throttle cable breaks the choke cable can be used and the choke lever then becomes the throttle............ :?
I have spare bulbs, tube valves and odds and ends in the headlamp shell and cable ties and a length of fuel hose poked up the h/bars.
On my modern bike all I have to carry is a tenner in the headlamp for emergency fuel. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

I know what you mean Spriddler, I have a throttle cable strapped to the original on my BMW as they are such a pain and time consuming to fit. When on trials my bike had cables strapped to the originals, that was the norm in those days. :roll:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

1608 wrote: I can't quite see the point of taping a spare cable next to the one fitted and exposing it to the weather unnecessarily.
As Neville noted it makes for a quick changeover of those passing under the tank, I put shrink wrap over the ends to keep the muck out then just cut it away with a multi tool on the roadside to fit the cable.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid,

I have have used the choke cable in the way you describe. It was interesting but I arrived at destination.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I don't have big hands so my spare chain link reduces the span.
(Pic is of my experimental 'bars with the clutch and the brake lever on the left).

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'

Post by 1608 »

John, have you seen the size of the toolbox on an AJS? :rofl:

Andy, where were you hiding the Molgrips ?