Engine revs high with throttle fully closed ..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

Re: Engine revs high with throttle fully closed ..

Post by 1608 »

The lead will make the float sit lower and cause rich running. It may have been put there to ensure that the tickler reaches it. I have come across differing lengths of tickler.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Taid wrote:once it's all reassembled I'll see about checking it but would like an opinion on the float (above)
Yes, the solder has been placed there in an attempt to adjust the float level - probably because a thick washer was (incorrectly) fitted to the fuel inlet union. Raising the needle land in this way would lower the fuel level in the float chamber.

Regardless, you just need to set it to the right level (either by removing the solder or changing the washer(s) under the fuel inlet union). The float level is the first thing to check on an Amal. If it's wrong, then the carb won't work properly. The fact that your float cover hasn't got a pip on it suggests the PO didn't care about setting the float level correctly...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I've not seen that blob of solder before and I doubt that it's original. I'm pretty sure original carbs were not designed with fibre washers between the float seat and carb body, fitting a washer effectively raises the level in the float chamber so the blob of solder may have been a counter measure.
Replacement carbs have a washer there, (part number 14/175 - about 0.5mm thick) and I have to assume the associated components are adjusted to maintain a correct fuel level.

Moral of the above - don't assume you can mix and match old and new components ;)

The 'pip' is located centrally fore and aft and 31mm up from the bottom of the float chamber cover.

Regards Mick
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Taid wrote:somewhere I have read about the thickness of the fibre washer under the float needle housing / fuel inlet .. the one I have is quite thick, which may account for a high fuel level??
Early monoblocs shouldn't have any washer under the needle housing, modern (meaning new ones you can now purchase) have an aluminium washer under the needle housing.

Rob C
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Replacement carbs have a washer there, (part number 14/175 - about 0.5mm thick) and I have to assume the associated components are adjusted to maintain a correct fuel level.

Moral of the above - don't assume you can mix and match old and new components ;)

The 'pip' is located centrally fore and aft and 31mm up from the bottom of the float chamber cover.

Regards Mick
I have a new float needle which appears identical to the existing (seems to have a neoprene? point on it ,,) ....

presumably this then would require the thin washer you mention, do you think?

Ah well, I suppose it will become clear when it is back on and I check the fuel level .. but would half a mm show when checking?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd just re-assemble without the washer and check the level, if it's too low adjust the blob.

Don't forget the small brass spacer after you fit the float ;)

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

Don't forget the small brass spacer after you fit the float ;)

Regards Mick

Being the inpert that I am, I dropped it among the detritus on the garage floor as I took the carb apart .. "Oh gawd!! thinks I .. but someone was watching over me, I moved a bit of rubbish and there it was .. floor now cleaner ......
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

robcurrie wrote:
Taid wrote:somewhere I have read about the thickness of the fibre washer under the float needle housing / fuel inlet .. the one I have is quite thick, which may account for a high fuel level??
Early monoblocs shouldn't have any washer under the needle housing, modern (meaning new ones you can now purchase) have an aluminium washer under the needle housing.

Rob C
It gets even more confusing as Amal gasket sets include a washer that is not required on the original monobloc, owners who don't know this fit it as it in the kit.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

In my opinion, even if the float level is incorrect, it does not explain the problem : rich or lean, the mixture needs a rather hig amount of air to make the engine running so fast ! 40 MPH in top gear on a M16 = at least 3000 RPM or so. The pilot jet circuit is tiny, and the tick over screw is here precisely to open very sligthly the throttle slide to give a smooth tick over. In these conditions where could pass the sufficient amount of air to run so fast the engine ? Remember : previously the bike runned fine on tick over, and suddenly the problem appeared, starting the engine e few days after. So, it is not wear, or defective mixture the culprit.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

AMAL pip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'