Best incandescent bulb longevity recommendation

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Best incandescent bulb longevity recommendation

Post by 56G80S »

Apologies, not specific to the Matchless. A rear light on the Rover has just failed. They're a PITA to do, but not as much as the front sidelights. I'd fitted LEDs in the front sidelights but they developed a fault quite early, flickering. Maybe it was a CANBUS thing.

The rear light was only replaced a few months ago. Is there really a direct relationship between cost and longevity? What brands are really going to provide me with confidence? Even I would rather spend more and get that confidence if it were true.

Any opinions?

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Re: Best incandescent bulb longevity recommendation

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not answered your question, but. Did you replace the LED's with LED's. My car failed an M o T as they claimed my LED side lights flickered. I was not aware they did. However, end result was, the LED's were replaced with non LED's to pass the M O T. The M o T tester said. Standard bulbs were replaced as LED's will flicker, and other motorist will think I am indicating.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Not an answer to your tail light problem but in the headlight of my two 12v Triumphs, I use heavy-duty halogen bulbs as the standard items didn't last too long... probably due to the parallel twin vibrations. These have lasted three years and still going. Maybe there are heavy-duty tail light bulbs available?
20200706_085434.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Pharisee wrote:........ in the headlight of my two 12v Triumphs, I use heavy-duty halogen bulbs ......................
20200706_085434.jpg
Somewhere, I think I read that halogen bulbs require a different sealed-beam headlight lens pattern to the standard incandescent BPF bulb ..

Is that right?

Thanks
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks chaps. Although maligned in the past, I think that Halfords have improved. I bought some special tools to fit the High Pressure Diesel Pump onto the Rover and they were fine. So maybe look no further?

Rob - no they were replacing incandescent fron sidelights which are now back in.

Taid - I fitted LED into my Matchless 6 volt system and although bright the beam wasn't the best and the depth perception seemed diferent. I'm currently using the 6 volt halogen from Paul Goff that I took out to fit the LED as the halogen's beam is better! Fortunately I do very little urban riding and therefore am rarely below 40mph so charging is OK as I still have the LED rear light.

Thanks again.

Johnny B
REW

Post by REW »

Halfords sell heavy duty "pothole resistant" bulbs for other applications: 5w, 5 and 21w etc - have a look at their website. Other suppliers are available...
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers, Ron, hope you're both OK.

Johnny B
Taid

Post by Taid »

56G80S wrote:Thanks chaps. ................................

Taid - I fitted LED into my Matchless 6 volt system and although bright the beam wasn't the best and the depth perception seemed diferent. I'm currently using the 6 volt halogen from Paul Goff that I took out to fit the LED as the halogen's beam is better! Fortunately I do very little urban riding and therefore am rarely below 40mph so charging is OK as I still have the LED rear light.

I am converting to 12v negative earth and currently awaiting an alternator, which the seller says is physically a straight swap for the original E3N (plus wiring changes) so plan to put in a halogen bulb .. currently the bike has a Wipac series 118/7 sealed beam lens/reflector unit ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987