Aluminium look-alike finish

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Andy51

Aluminium look-alike finish

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, I am working on a project involving modifications to an old Honda front brake backplate, which involves filling in the now unwanted front wheel speedo drive aperture and a couple of small holes. Any suggestions gratefully received on 2 aspects: best filler (I have seen several fillers containing aluminium on line); and best final finish. I do not want to weld or use heat, but polishing is unlikely to work as I will be using an aluminium plug and filler, which will not match the main metal. Painting will cover everything, but is there any paint out there that will give a passable imitation of polished alloy? The plan is to make a 2LS front brake that fits the '55 on AMC front wheel. Andy
dave16mct

Re: Aluminium look-alike finish

Post by dave16mct »

I would look at car alloy wheel paints and fillers.
Dave.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Andy51 wrote:Hi, I am working on a project involving modifications to an old Honda front brake backplate, which involves filling in the now unwanted front wheel speedo drive aperture and a couple of small holes. Any suggestions gratefully received on 2 aspects: best filler (I have seen several fillers containing aluminium on line); and best final finish. I do not want to weld or use heat, but polishing is unlikely to work as I will be using an aluminium plug and filler, which will not match the main metal. Painting will cover everything, but is there any paint out there that will give a passable imitation of polished alloy? The plan is to make a 2LS front brake that fits the '55 on AMC front wheel. Andy
I use Chrome finish aerosols. It's nothing like proper chrome but I think it's what you are looking for.

Andy
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Paint is always going to get spoiled eventually. Could you not polish the hub and fit some alloy blanking plugs like this one? There are a selection of different sizes on Ebay and you could always drill the holes larger if you cannot find a suitable size. They could be glued in with JB Weld or similar. Cheers. Bruce.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14mm-Bung-AN ... Swa6Jbt0R3
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Have you considered having it powder coated as per alloy wheels?

This filler withstands the process:
Filler for P Coat.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

A couple of years back I restored a Honda CB77 and sprayed the castings with various types of paint to try to regain the original finish, none of the paints survived petrol leakage, not sure if you can spray aluminium effectively from a spray can.
clive

Post by clive »

Andy51 wrote: The plan is to make a 2LS front brake that fits the '55 on AMC front wheel. Andy
I have a Suzuki 2LS front brake on my 51 AJS 18S. Very effective and despite warnings that it would not stop me rolling back on a hill when two up it has not been a problem.

I just used a rubber blanking plug to fill the speedo cable hole but someone had converted it before I got it, fitting a bolt for the brake stay by filling the previous fit on the slider. They also made a very substantial brake stay and now I think the weak point is the 1 1/8 stanchions!.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Recognise you don't want to use heat, but you can get a very good finish if you use the low melting point rods to be found on amazon. I did my Jampot lugs using it as couldn't find a filler to match. Was very happy with the result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cracking job, Chappers.

Johnny B
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I have been meaning to try Araldite mixed with aluminium powder for that sort of job but never got around to it......................maybe one day.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow