My wifes grandfather used to race for AJS...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
fella

My wifes grandfather used to race for AJS...

Post by fella »

Hello all,

I've found myself here via two avenues.

1st off, my wife's grandfather goes by the name Reg Pilling from Bury and he used to race in the late 40's and early 50's. He rode a BSA and Triumph around the TT and then more relevant, he rode for AJS on 350cc scramblers. All of the pictures and info I have gleamed from her family show him sat upon AJS models. Sadly he passed away more than 30 years ago, before either of us could meet him. Its not easy to get too much info anymore as he was banned from racing by his wife once he had children. My father in law was also not allowed to ride bikes as a result so took up rallying instead!

2nd, my boss at work, who owns an early 50's model 20 I believe, that was bought by his father and has travelled from the UK via SA to Aus and now resides in Spain, he's a member of the club and has provided me with lots of back issues to read during my lunchbreaks!

The reason for posting is that my wife is completing her bike license and wants to get her first bike come the end of the year. We saw it as fitting that her first bike if possible could tip the cap to Reg and be a model of a bike he used to ride. The first picture i have looks to be a rigid 16mc and the later images from 52/54 look to be a full suspension 16mc that he's flying through the air on. 350cc model 16 i think we need to find. Sadly none of his equipment is in the family at all as it all went years ago. We have been told stories of how he travelled everywhere pre kids with his wife in a sidecar for holidays etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IwEyMO ... sp=sharing
16th January 1949, Bury Traders Trophy Trial, 2nd

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HyRyYF ... sp=sharing
receiving the chequered flag at Bury Championship, 2nd time in succession, 31st August 1952
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j1Ps05 ... sp=sharing
21st March 1954

Any more info that anybody has knocking around or tips on where to look would be appreciated. His name crops up on various google searches but there isn't a lot out there.

The hunt for the bike will begin in earnest in a few months we hope once life is fully back to normal!

Cheers. Paul
Last edited by fella on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robcurrie

Re: My wifes grandfather used to race for AJS...

Post by robcurrie »

Welcome Fella, at the top of the page is a link to the club website Jampot.com. Look for the banner Kettering Classics and you will find bikes for sale. There are also private sales elsewhere on the site, but you might have to be a member to see the listings.

Rob C
clive

Post by clive »

robcurrie wrote:Welcome Fella, at the top of the page is a link to the club website Jampot.com. Look for the banner Kettering Classics and you will find bikes for sale. There are also private sales elsewhere on the site, but you might have to be a member to see the listings.

Rob C
Fully paid up members see the adverts as soon as they go on the website. Guest members see them 3 weeks after they first appear in the magazine, which allowing for Copy deadlines means they could have been on the website for 7 weeks. Kettering Classics adverts are available to guest straight away.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

buy a new 125 AJS
fella

Post by fella »

My last sentences maybe were a bit muddled.

We won't be looking for a bike for a few months yet as we work away all summer and don't come back to be UK until the autumn.

My quest for more info was referring to Ref Pilling and if by chance it rang any bells. Would be nice to find out more about his exploits!

Thanks all.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Here is an early mention of him on this forum:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 63#p112473

Rob C
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Also mentioned in the DOT section of that book, with a fine picture of Reg and the rest of the DOT team celebrating a 1-2-3 in 1951.
Stan
les ward

Post by les ward »

Put your request and photos in the club magazine, which more menbers will see. Send to editor@jampot.com
fella

Post by fella »

Watching a couple of listings of the book on ebay so shall try to snap one up!

The DOT bikes is another intersting connection, may try and follow that up too! Thanks kindly chaps.
fella

Post by fella »

I shall do that, thank you kindly.

I had a good hunt around and spoke to a nice chap from the DOT forum who didn't seem to think it was him in the photo and named 3 other gents.

The Isle of Man register came up with some info about the bikes he raced there and lead to finding his name in a couple of race reports that I'm going to purchase. He's was one of the first three riders out in the junior club mans in ‘52, but got away third as he took two kicks to get going and then recovered to be he first rider back on lap one. Then he pitted early and came 20th overall at an average of around 70moh. We won't mention her was riding a BSA.

Hopefully I can dig up some more nuggets, very fascinating so far!