When I was a lad, there were always men on their drives

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

When I was a lad, there were always men on their drives

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Servicing, changing the points, plugs, condenser, oil, filters, brake linings, wheel cylinders etc. etc. on their cars/motorbikes on a Sunday so they could get to work in the morning.

That's what I was bought up with. I rode British bikes as a teenager, mainly due to my dad's influences and knowledge. It was normal to me.

Most of my friends rode these new fangled high revving Japanese motorcycles, and many still do.

I think they have missed out though. I love understanding how things work (apart from women and computers, that's a dark art!).

The sad thing is that (I know it's been said before), we're a dying breed. I hope our machines don't end up as museum pieces and enjoyed for what they are when we're gone.

I like being a grumpy old man with a temperamental old motorbike.

People don't believe me when I tell them I have never taken a motorbike into a dealer to be serviced. I guess I'm a youngster at 56 though... :rofl:
Mick D

Re: When I was a lad, there were always men on their drives

Post by Mick D »

Drives! - Luxury :o :o

I was happy fixing my bikes in a gutter beside the pavement in the pouring rain - you youngsters haven't lived ;) :)
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Mmmm, bit of a contradiction there, "I like being a grumpy old man with a temperamental old motorbike" I guess I'm a youngster at 56 though!!! what is going to happen to all these old brit bikes? probably get stuffed away in sheds/under tarps/stripped put into boxes, then one day they will get discovered by an unknowing generation of computer technophobes and it will completely baffle them as to what they have just found, let alone what to do with them. My two sons aren't interested so who will be the next owners.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

These days nostalgia is old-fashioned. I can't imagine grandchildren getting excited when my sons dig out their 50 yr old ZX80 Spectrums from my loft.
I well remember the pressure on a Sunday with bits of car or m/bike on the pavement and needing it to be finished to go to work. It was a bit easier then as the technology enabled temp repairs and bodges and garages had proper stores with parts, but nowadays apart from some oil and a few fan belts they rely on 4 deliveries a day from motor factors.
I started a 5 yr indentured apprenticeship in 1962 (my father had to sign the indenture papers) at a large R/R, Bentley and Jag main dealer with day release once a week at tech where we learnt to strip, repair and rebuild dynamos, starter motors, brake cylinders, distributors, fuel pumps, in fact anything that could be taken apart. Our engine overhaul training was done on a 750cc side valve Austin Seven engine that had been stripped and rebuilt so many times it could probably have done it by itself. It was quite normal when back at the bench to spend a day diagnosing, stripping and rebuilding almost any item on a vehicle, but with today's replacement exchange services and labour rates at from £60 to £140 an hour it just wouldn't be economic. That's the main reason I got out of being a mechanic as we had become parts fitters, spending a large part of each day at the Stores getting exchange units. Most R/R and Bentley parts had a serial number on them and we had to log the old and new numbers to be sent to R/R or Bentley. We had a range of tailor made quilted fitted covers to put over the outside and inside panels of each vehicle.
Being located in the centre of Brighton almost all owners were film or radio celebrities of the day; Gracie Fields, Sir Laurence Olivier, Gilbert Harding, Cliff Michelmore, Vivian Leigh, Vera Lynn......
I still cringe when I remember a rush job to replace the oil pressure gauge in Michelmore's Jag. It was fed with oil via a small dia copper pipe and just carefully removing the entire walnut dashboard took a couple of hours. Shortly after driving it away he returned with black oil drips down his white trousers from the pipe to the new gauge that I hadn't tightened sufficiently. He wasn't happy and our Works Manager (permanently on the verge of a nervous breakdown) threatened me with the sack but my foreman dissuaded him. 35 years later when working with him at the London Boat Show, demonstrating yacht 'Man Overboard' equipment in the pool he remembered the oil gauge event and hoped my skills had improved.
The entire site was demolished 15 years ago and is now luxury apartments so there's progress for you.
However, I ramble, and the lovely young lady next door has just given me some of her blueberry crumble and custard :D so must eat it while it's still hot.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dibnah

Post by Dibnah »

If annual mileage is low(ish) then cheapest motoring (and biking) is generally classic Brit and DIY spannering, particularly if the vehicle is increasing in value.

In terms of running costs, the only advantage that modern cars offer is miles per gallon. There can be reliability issues with classic vehicles, which may impact availability of the vehicle when needed for an important journey, this can be dealt with by owning several classic vehicles.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Plugsnpointsyou can call yourself a grumpy old man when you've got another 25-30 years on the saddle and still ride a Model 31 and put it on it's original centre stand, heaving on that gives you be grumpy about. one problem at that age is not being strong enough to lift the engine out of the frame to do your own repairs, I still do my own tyres changes though. Just!!!!
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Plugsnpointsyou can call yourself a grumpy old man when you've got another 25-30 years on the saddle and still ride a Model 31 and put it on it's original centre stand, heaving it on that gives you something to be grumpy about. One problem at that age is not being strong enough to lift the engine out of the frame to do your own repairs, I still do my own tyres changes though. Just!!!!
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Its okay Mike, I think he heard you the first time, …… I said, I think.... oh it doesn't matter ;)

Hope to catch up with you while there is still some summer left.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I remember changing the clutch on my A55 on our drive back then. Jacked up the car, put my old winter sledge under the gearbox, packed the gap with bricks, undid nuts holding 'box to crankcase and prop shaft. Pulled sledge out, changed clutch plate using broom handle to centre it - much cheaper than the special tool and just as good! Got it all back together at 3 AM, couldn't get a couple of bolts back that held gearbox to bodywork so ignored them. All ready to take then girlfriend to Southsea that morning - could today's youth do that?! The left over bolts? The car went well after that so eventually chucked them away - cars were not so fussy back then! The bike got mended in the back garden, and my father and I decoked my first machine (Raleigh Runabout) in the kitchen - can't see the good lady allowing me to do that these days! Cheers, Andy
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Rosy wrote:Mmmm, bit of a contradiction there, "I like being a grumpy old man with a temperamental old motorbike" I guess I'm a youngster at 56 though!!! what is going to happen to all these old brit bikes? probably get stuffed away in sheds/under tarps/stripped put into boxes, then one day they will get discovered by an unknowing generation of computer technophobes and it will completely baffle them as to what they have just found, let alone what to do with them. My two sons aren't interested so who will be the next owners.
There are a number of interesting business reports out there showing a slowdown in motorcycle sales due to Covid lock down, but forecasting a major resurgence in sales in a post Covid world. Recession/ depression (don't need to be an economist to recognise the world's economies are kaput) will drive the need for cheap affordable transport such as motorcycles and scooters. Also, with social distancing embedded in our psyche, individual commuting will be for many, the preference to sharing your personal bubble with 50 others on a cramped bus or train. Home working is set to become the norm for many and therefore, no need to have the average of 2 expensive cars on the drive costing a small fortune due to tax, high rate insurance and depreciation.

Cheap two wheeled travel will become the norm (the reason I got into motorcycling in the 70's was because I couldn't afford a car!). A significant number of these will be new technology based electric, silent, unassuming. However, as more people experience two wheels, there will be a demand for vehicles which are individualistic, unique and cool (and yes – loud)- set stage for classic motorcycles.

Even before Covid, I was seeing more young people who had just passed their test, driving around in classic minis. The reason (I know, my son had one), 1. insurances for a classic was up to several thousand pounds cheaper compared to a modern (even a banger) car. 2. It looked super cool, 3. you can tweak the engine to make more noise, get more power relatively simply (can't do that will a modern computerised/ sealed engine!).

With an increase in demand in the classics, spares and repair providers will set to see a corresponding increase in business turnover (but only if they invest in marketing - lesson from previous recessions/ depressions). New business start-ups will increase in numbers filling in gaps in the market. Those businesses that can offer more efficient and effective services than it's competitor will thrive (driven by good marketing and reliable services – targeting a wider, younger market segment who are used to Amazon levels of service delivery).

So I suggest, keep hold of your bikes, retain your skills and for those wishing to make some money, sell the dream and reap the rewards.