Age Related Registration.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Martin.S

Age Related Registration.

Post by Martin.S »

Hello All
Just had a reply back from the DVLA and they have found the registration to the G5 frame I am building up.
Not only is it registered as a 250cc instead of the 350 it should be but it's date of manufacture is of 1981!
Also its registration number is HRS 7**F - that's a 1967/8 number and the G5s were only built from 60 - 62..
So I presume then that a bike was assembled and registered in 1981 and given not an age related number plate.
My question then is what to do about getting a proper aged related number -do I fill in a 'Built up Vehicle report'
or just inform them of the correct details?
Cheers
Martin
SPRIDDLER

Re: Age Related Registration.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

My guess is that you'll need a dating cert from the club showing its factory build date, and apply for the reg'n number to be changed.
I did that about 20 years ago with an MGB GT that for whatever reason had a reg'n number 6 years younger than its build age. I expect there was a form to be filled in but can't remember now. You can change the engine details no prob.
Probably best to get a club dating cert and advice from DVLA but the word on the street is that you'll have a job to contact them by phone, live chat or email. Worth a try though.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Got through to DVLA today after just a 5 minute wait on the phone. Not only that but they told me the G15 is at last registered with an age related number (papers sent 18/04/20). Years ago I had I had an S registered G80. It had been reregistered in 1979 presumably because papers were lost and at the time they did not issue age related numbers. Some years later they changed the rules and getting an age related number was a simple job of filling in the correct form (also cannot remember which but I am sure it has changed). This I did after being challenged by one Police Officer as to why an S registered bike did not have a yellow rear number plate, before he said "but that would spoil it". I wasn't sure other Officers would take the same view.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Interesting topic, some years ago I bought a 1939 Triumph Speedtwin at the Stafford jumble. It had a D suffix registration. When I had completed the rebuild, I went to the DVLA office in Chelmsford to tax it, when I got to the counter, there was a young man about 19 being trained. I handed the paperwork to him and asked what was the procedure to change the registration to a correct age related one. He replied that he did not know. The supervisor replied that it was something that he would have to know, she guided him through it, I left 10 minutes later with a new registration number. Those were the good old days of local DVLA offices!