Pattern parts. Lucas in particular.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Pattern parts. Lucas in particular.

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I thought I was doing the right thing when I bought the bike 18 odd months ago.

I purchased a new (Chinese) Lucas PRS8 lighting/ignition switch, and a new (Chinese) Lucas coil.

The switch caused me problems as the rubber grommet and keyhole kept falling out when I removed the key, and the emergency start wasn't working at all. The coil I bought in error as it's the smaller one.

I bought a new correct sized British made Remax oil filled coil(same price as the Chinese one), replaced the old original Lucas rectifier with a solid state one (mounted on a home made aluminium heat sink).

Yesterday I stripped, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled and refitted the original (well, it's dated 1971!) Lucas PRS8 switch.

It's perfect, everything works as it should, including emergency start.

I just have to replace the cracked Indian centre stand now...that didn't last long!
ajscomboman

Re: Pattern parts. Lucas in particular.

Post by ajscomboman »

Plugsnpoints wrote:I just have to replace the cracked Indian centre stand now...that didn't last long!
At the risk of angering the Adverts police, just do yourself a big favour and buy one from you know who! :rofl: :rofl:
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

ajscomboman wrote:
Plugsnpoints wrote:I just have to replace the cracked Indian centre stand now...that didn't last long!
At the risk of angering the Adverts police, just do yourself a big favour and buy one from you know who! :rofl: :rofl:
I'm thinking quite seriously about one of those now. Not sure who sells them though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Plugsnpoints wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:
I'm thinking quite seriously about one of those now. Not sure who sells them though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/quo

It's me ;)
Roy
DM2

Post by DM2 »

[/quote]

I'm thinking quite seriously about one of those now. Not sure who sells them though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/quo

It's me ;)[/quote]

Good advertising would be a stand donated to the next club raffle :rofl: :rofl:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Plugsnpoints wrote:I'm thinking quite seriously about one of those now. Not sure who sells them though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: [/quote 15Mk11

It's me ;)

Lies, lies, fake news!!!! :D
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Pattern electrical parts are a particular problem. Many are cheap and nasty and clearly made down to a price. I cannot understand the thought processes of people who spend many hundreds, often thousands, on paintwork and chrome plating, then finish the job with a £4.99 electrical bit. Surely there is a market out there for quality parts? I for one would be prepared to spend 2 or 3 times as much to get good electrical stuff; in the grand scheme of things, it would add fractions of a % to the overall cost of a rebuild. Andy
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

DM2 wrote:

It's me ;)[/quote]

Good advertising would be a stand donated to the next club raffle :rofl: :rofl:[/quote]

Yes I have one left and more that happy to donate as a prize with a pilau rice.
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

ajscomboman wrote:
cop emoji.jpg
Naughty boy,
mind you the stands are unlikely to crack and you won't get a hernia putting the bike on the stand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I believe that the Lucas brand name is owned by Wassels, probably all made in India, so where possible only original U.K. made Lucas items should be used, these do come up at jumbles and switches even if damaged can be repaired, outlasting the cheap copies.
Nice to see the adverts police with a hat on! :rofl: