Ammeter question

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bazajay

Ammeter question

Post by bazajay »

Hello all lockdowners, stuipidly here in Switzerland we are not in lockdown so before it happens I am trying to get my old Aj through its MOT. The last thing I have to do (after 7 years work) is the ammeter, unfortunately in a rare mistake our spares dept have sent me a 12—0—12 instead of the 8—0—8 that I ordered. Given the situation it would take an age to sent it back and get the right one.
My question is will it work? Will it just show the readings smaller i.e. the needle moves but in a smaller amount?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Stay healthy and take the chance to do all them little jobs you have been putting off. When you are free again I expect to see some lovely polished bikes on the road!
Cheers from Switzerland.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -Logic is like a bulldozer, it is slow but it will get you through any problem!
spookefoote1956

Re: Ammeter question

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Should be fine. I take it the one you wanted was for 6v? The 12 0 12 needle should move a little less. :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

it will work fine , and still read correctly , the meter does not know the difference between 6v and 12v
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Hello Barry

I'm glad you posted about the ammeter being wrongly supplied. I had the staff check the boxes from the last delivery from where your one was picked and we found more items incorrectly boxed by the supplier! They were obviously running short of the 8-0-8 type and simply put 12-0-12 in there instead. Nice of them to give us the heads up!!
bazajay

Post by bazajay »

Thanks ajscomboman, I looked at the box today and indeed the box say 8-0-8 so the blame does not lie anywhere near your shoulders! What really p***ed me of though is that I fitted it and found out it wasn‘t the problem solver I had hope for - still getting no plus reading even though the battery is getting charged! Back to the drawing board!!
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -Logic is like a bulldozer, it is slow but it will get you through any problem!