A small positive while I'm keeping safe at home,

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

A small positive while I'm keeping safe at home,

Post by Plugsnpoints »

is having time to take the M16 apart. I find very therapeutic, stripping everything down to bare metal, priming it and respraying everything black. Some of it's like Time Team, finding untidy dribbles of brass where the man was brazing the frames on piecework, hidden away for over 62 years.

I've just got to remember how it all goes back together now :rofl:

The other thing I am doing is catching up on Talking Pictures TV, as there's back to back old films and lots of snippets of British life in times gone by.

There's even the odd AJS or Matchless in them.

What amazes me is the vehicles in the black and white films all had personalised number plates, even the lorries and police cars...
GOLDSTAR

Re: A small positive while I'm keeping safe at home,

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I was asked a few years back to examine some of the remaining Kent vehicle reg issuing ledgers, I was a tad surprised to see how many vehicle owners in the 50's retained their original numbers at a cost of 5/-. [25p for any younger members], an interesting thing about my G80cs which I have never really got to the bottom of, original number issued Coventry 1954 to an AJS spring twin, the frame which houses the engine now, was originally issued in 1939 to what I don't know, perhaps the first owner in 1954 had a machine from 1939 and just kept the number for some reason, things were a lot more relaxed in days of yore. Kind regards