Panniers ..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Panniers ..

Post by Taid »

Nostalgia being as it is, my original plan had been to get a pair of 50's Craven Panniers, like the ones I had way back then, for the 16MS. but have to admit, in hindsight, they are not very practical, being rigid and not very wide.

I see there are 'throw over' panniers of various shapes and sizes, and it seems the twinseat maybe ideal to 'throw over' (Partly because I only expect to ride solo) and they look simple to remove when not needed .

Does anyone have experience of such items .. ??

Thanks
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Rob Harknett

Re: Panniers ..

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have used them in the past. I could add, they may prove better for your needs as they are flexi bags not boxes. So will accept odd shaped items, boxes would not. They would only be considered to be used for doing a job, not look pretty on a bike.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've always used throw-overs which I think are very popular with most of us. I don't like top boxes which always look ungainly to me as I like to carry minimal stuff in a nice tidy way ;)

Ahem, well, this was on a 2 months 2,400 mile tour.
Throw overs (640x410).jpg
Throw overs 2 (640x363).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thank you R.H. and S.

I'll get a cheap set, and see how I go for the future .. I don't have a rear carrier as yet .. depends on how much I use it .. assuming I come through the current contretemps..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

So far I have used throw overs, Roadarks, pulled a trailer behind the G80S and currently using a form of period Craven copy, detachable panniers. Oh and I'm also using a capacious two piece tank top bag, tools and parts in the bottom section, clothes in the top section, although this may appear to contradict the theft point, below, the hook on straps are a sod to undo and would fox anyone unfamiliar with them. Tent, sleeping bag and bed etc in the panniers.

I found the throw overs worked well, they were (are, I still have them) unbranded and I can't remember when, where or how much I paid on purchase. The only thing that bothered me was, being an untrusting type, they would've been easy to pinch. On the way to IJRs and Jampots I stopped where I could keep an eye on the G80S rather than lug the throw overs around.

I've found the latest approach, the Craven type fibreglass ones, are probably the best option so far.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I have only ever used very expensive and ultra high quality bungees and ruck sacks!
rps20200323_135429.jpg
And we were two up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I use Oxford Heritage waxed cotton (with waterproof liners) 20 litre throw over panniers and the 30L roll bag (50L available) strapped across rear of seat/mudguard. I put a piece of foam rubber over saddle, extending down to protect Jampots from contact with panniers. Not tested in heavy rain, but excellent kit for Jampot, taking clothing, sleeping bag, kip mat, few spares, etc - everything except tent which strapped on with roll bag. Check prices, they vary widely, got mine off eBay supplier. Hope this helps, Andy
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

You don't do " light" then, Chris- looks like you were emmigrating!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"And we were two up!"

Heck, I thought I overloaded. I couldn't get my leg over that lot.

Guess you're an adept at yoga.

JohnnyB
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Me and the then future Mrs Spookefoote were off to the t'isle of man. Whilst there we would be camping and attending a wedding at Braddan. So all the camping gear, suits and stuff and two tents ............ one for the bike of course! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We did actually get stopped by a copper on the way to the boat. When we told him where we we going he just told us to go away ....... just go!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein