Panniers ..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: Panniers ..

Post by 56G80S »

So I'm not the only one to travel with his wife to a wedding on a motorcycle!

You'll laugh but in my case it was a pig nose MZ 250 from North Yorks to Bristol. A long time ago now.

JohnnyB
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I can see what attracted her to you now you fox you! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Taid

Re: Panniers .. continued ..

Post by Taid »

It's been a while since I started this thread ..

I bought a set of throw-overs last year (which came without instructions), but only now looking to use them as the year improves (had first vaccine, numbers are falling etc).

From the name (Throw over) I expected them to 'throw over, clip on... unclip, take off' in moments, but they appear to pass a strap with velcro adjustment under the saddle, which means 'Saddle off' (not the easiest operation) to put them on or take them off ... so once on, more or less a permanent fixture

This seems usual from what I can find on the net. Am I right?

OK, they won't easily get nicked while in whatever car park, but I'm not sure I want them on all the time. I think I need to look at some kind of captive nuts for the rear twin-seat bolts .. something I was vaguely planning anyway, cos I've got some modified electrics under there anyway.

I had hoped to fit a carrier (when I can find one that fits the 16ms) for general use, and only use the panniers when the carrier wasn't suitable ..

Is it time to rethink everything?? (story of my life)
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Fit a clip or a metal ring to the front bottom inside edge of the soft pannier both sides and loop a string ( tent guy rope is good) round the rear footpeg to the ring! No need then for the velcro strap!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

The only thing that kept my throw-overs in place was the weight in them and my arse.

I found the Held tanktop bag to be really very useful, particularly as it is in two sections, although I know a lot of people reject that as concerned about potential paint damage.

Don't plan to go down this route again, on the way to Poland not far from Berlin:
G80S plus trailer small.JPG
But I still have the towbar.....

Johnny B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Poland was not upside down when I went, John!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I didn't go by the shortest route, I flew back from Berlin Schonefeld Flugplatzand it was only a 30 minute drive with an enormous lunatic taxi driver:
Bad Nendorf to Szczecin.jpg
We're way off panniers topic!

JohnnyB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taid

Post by Taid »

alanjennings wrote:Fit a clip or a metal ring to the front bottom inside edge of the soft pannier both sides and loop a string ( tent guy rope is good) round the rear footpeg to the ring! No need then for the velcro strap!
Thank you AJ ..

mine have got a (plastic) "D" ring (to attach a shoulder strap) which will do for a trial run ..

Did seem strange having shoulder straps if they were going to awkward to remove, but I assumed that they hadn't considered that anyone would be as dumb as me would buy them. (imagine rolling up at your night's B&B and dismantling the bike to get your luggage off ... )
___

Taid

Post by Taid »

56G80S wrote:
We're way off panniers topic!

JohnnyB
Hey, it's the excursions that make life interesting .. :beer:
___

MAC

Post by MAC »

I wanted panniers..just to carry a few tools/spares and sometimes a flask and sandwiches and a spare jumper etc..and do like the look of the old Cravens..but they are quite small inside for the space they take up. I bought an AJS/Matchless original carrier off e bay for £50.Two bits of tube were welded to make pannier frame rails to keep the bags out of the wheel...it was then blasted and powder coated. I then bought a pair of Moss Luggage of London leather ( read synthetic) throwovers which I secured to the carrier rather than the saddle., also off e bay for £50. This set up allows my wife to be comfy on the saddle and I still have the flat 'platform' of the carrier for lashing extra cargo ( sometimes a vintage suitcase)