Thoughts & Observations

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Greybeard

Re: Thoughts & Observations

Post by Greybeard »

Then there was the engine to spruce up
117 640x480.jpg
This is where I'm at for now - well, as of last Monday when I picked the bike up from Alldens Exhausts having had the stainless pipes made
136 640x480.jpg
It's now not far off ready for the road - a few more tweaks and nuts/bolts to mirror polish and we'll be there - in spite of there being nowhere to go and show it off :roll:

Regarding the Rover piston, the +20 Rover piston is the equivalent of a +45 Panther. There are a couple of minor mods to do (which a chap in the club does prior to supplying them) which includes shortening the Rover gudgeon pin (which is normally clamped) and machining circlip grooves instead.
I have had the bike running, without the pipes on - who could resist that? - and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :)
It's not been the easiest bike I've had to restore as they are practically hand-built with 'selective assembly' of parts at the factory, so it's rare to be able to take a part from one bike and fit it without a bit of fettling to another. But for a design that first saw the light of day around 1904 and was 'updated', slightly, in the 30's they do have that certain something. I think they call it 'road presence' nowadays :roll:

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Nice looking bike Steve. I have always wanted one - one day perhaps.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
REW

Post by REW »

Utterly fantastic GB, and your workmanship, wow! Will this ever turn up at an AMC rally? I would love to see and hear it.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks, chaps. Id love to get to an AMC rally - on anything right now! We thoroughly enjoyed the IJR in Norfolk last year and hope to repeat the experience sooner rather than later.

Steve
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

My dad had a couple of Panthers during his 'sidecar years'. The first was a 600cc Model 100 (I think, but stand to be corrected) dating from the middle 1930s. That's me... peering out of the back window outside a Bed and Breakfast place in Ramsgate where we had our summer holiday.

The second was a later Redwing 120 from around 1959. I have no photos of the bike but dad did make his own sidecar for it... a sort of Busmar Astral clone

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I recall a girder fork Panther a mate had years ago. Brakes were not much good. With the bike just ticking over and both brakes on, the bike jerked forward with each stoke of the engine. Without brakes on it would creep along just ticking over out of gear.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

It is truly a work of art Steve, hats off.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

How gorgeous is that!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Handsome or what!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yep, absolutely gorgeous (hope Marigold doesn't read this).
How lovely it would be for plonking through the Spring countryside.
(Sorry, Steve, I don't suppose you dare to think about what you're missing).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'