Looking for loan of a motorcycle trailer

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Looking for loan of a motorcycle trailer

Post by 56G80S »

Repeated from my other current thread as people are probably bored with it:

Any Club member between Middlesbrough and Guilford that can lend me a motorcycle trailer? Particularly close to Teesside?

I don't want to go down on public transport to buy another motporcycle and find that I don't want the bike after all and have to return on public transport BUT if I drive down in the Rover I'd have to drive back and arrange a courier. I'm a distrustful soul and a lot could happen in the intervening time. Getting it into the SEAT Alhambra may be a tall order, as Alan Jennings has suggested.

There seems to be no motorcycle trailer hire places around on Teesside.

Johnny B
Rangy65

Re: Looking for loan of a motorcycle trailer

Post by Rangy65 »

Why don't you hire a van? Looked this morning around Middlesborough £100 will get you medium transit van for the day.

Alternatively do you have a mate with a van? or know local club member with one?

Cheers
Steve
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Apparently, another Club member thinks it'll fit in the old body shape Alhambra which I've recently been using as a van with all the seats out except front two. Just cost me £345 for new front spring (frost and thaw effect) and a pair of Pirelli tyres.

Getting a motorcycle into it with a scaffold board may be a bit stressful! But another Club member has offered a trailer loan. So there are options.

What a great Club we're in!

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You probably know you will need about 8 feet of space for a bike. 7 feet with the front wheel and mudguard off. You could buy a second hand trailer for the price of hiring a van.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Glad you got it sorted, Mine is also available. My son has bought his own van so we are no longer using my camper and trailer. Yet another thing you don't know whether to let go or watch it rot. Camper hasn't turned a wheel this year either.
Stan
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Delayed reply due visit to A&E following squash ball in the eye, back on Monday for precautionary CT scan following the X ray last night.

Rob - 86.5 inches available on passenger side along the Alhambra, 94" diagonal. Will have to remove the mirrors and the screen and might just have the headroom max at entry point 40inches but more once past the entrance; awaiting a response from vendor.

I'd rather not trouble Charles and Stan but it's great to know there's an option. I'll be making the return trip anyway as letting my South East resident brother have the Alhambra so straightforward to return a loaned trailer before dropping the car off with him.

Not top of list until the eyesight declared OK. I actually said wrong eye to the vendor, for some reason said right when in fact it's left which is unfortunately my dominant eye. I was playing someone well below my standard and that's when things can go wrong. He was very upset and a nice chap.

Cheers

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

UPDATE - it appears that the headroom on the Alhambra is actually the sticking point for getting it in. Apparently I'd need more than the 40" available even with the mirrors and screen removed.

So thanks to Stan for his offer and I'll take up Charles' offer provided he's available on the day I plan. Subject to CT scan tomorrow (I am seeing OK) I'd hope to make the trip on Friday as this fits with the vendor's usual availability. The only thing is that I'd prefer to use the Rover as it's sooooo much nicer to drive than the Alhambra. This means towing from the pick up but I doubt I'll be going that fast round the M25 anyway. I have towed a caravan round UK and Europe so the fact of towing not new to me. Bit like Stan, it's not moved a wheel in 2-3 years.

I'll have to sort out my tie downs and be sure that I do it right! I remember Rob H posting something about that some time ago but experience with Rob Swift at the Jampot last year may be useful as well.

Cheers

Johnny B
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I find the biggest difference towing a road back compared to off road is you can't jam the front forks. The off-road has a big gap between tyre and guard, you can buy a plastic thing to go in there and pull the forks down solidly. Having lost several of the plastic ones I have long made my own wooden ones with suitable tie points.
For road bikes I haven't gone into fancy solutions, though I have read a few. Just pull the bike down fairly firmly and then tape wrap all the hooks that could disengage over bumps, even tape the tensioner up.oh, and make sure additional safety straps at the back are similarly treated.
Stan
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Just use a good bike courier.
Roy
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks Stan.

No, thanks Roy. I'll do it my own self.

Johnny BG