Mechnically sound touring motorcycle under £1000

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Greybeard

Re: Mechnically sound touring motorcycle under £1000

Post by Greybeard »

For what its worth, I had a Transalp some years ago. A lovely handling bike with a very willing engine but the seat was by far the worst one Ive ever sat on :shock: By 80 miles it was bloody excrutiatingly painful. Tank was ready for a refill by 100 to 120 miles, but I never managed to reach that very often without a break. Shame cos it was otherwise perfect. A low seat conversion would only make it worse. If you try one, make sure you take it for a decent run first ;)

Steve
bob121

Post by bob121 »

I would stay clear of tt600/speed four. Fuel systems never really worked correctly. Couldn't even attempt to set the fueling up if there isn't more than half a tank of fuel (unofficial recommendation from the factory). Earlier Hinckley models were prone to sprag clutch failure. But if you get one with good mileage and evidence of regular use, then this should not be an issue. Plus most should have been sorted.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions. Particularly like Rob's as I need soemthing that matches my own simplicity!

Johnny B

EDIT - Roy, also read eslewhere the seat torture. The GS500F sounds very appealing but not many on the market. Maybe have to forego the fairing. Can't believe the low miles of those under £1500! And the seat height reasonable with decent range on a tank of fuel.
REW

Post by REW »

The 500 twins mentioned above are all good to ride and have pros and cons with respect to complexity (Suzy aircooled, others not etc) but if you can stand the low fairing (I can't as I like 'em nekked :o ) this: http://www.classichondamotorcycles.co.u ... ?bike=4916
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

My friend has got up to 93000 on a 500 Suzuki twin, weak points are the exhaust systems tend to be in one piece and Rot and general finish is cheap.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I bought a Honda NTV a few years ago, cheap as chips and sooo reliable they are about for £5/600. kind regards
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers Ron, looks like another decent option. Only ever rode other people's fours.

There just aren't many NTV 600 Revere around.

Johnny B
Brad

Post by Brad »

Greybeard wrote:For what its worth, I had a Transalp some years ago. A lovely handling bike with a very willing engine but the seat was by far the worst one Ive ever sat on :shock: By 80 miles it was bloody excrutiatingly painful. Tank was ready for a refill by 100 to 120 miles, but I never managed to reach that very often without a break. Shame cos it was otherwise perfect. A low seat conversion would only make it worse. If you try one, make sure you take it for a decent run first ;)

Steve
I also had a Transalp many years ago and agree with all your comments. Definately a great bike apart from the seat. I especially liked the long travel very compliant suspension. Wish my G80 was the same in that respect.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
Brad

Post by Brad »

A Kawasaki GT550 can be a good bet if you can find one thats not been flogged to death by motorcycle couriers etc. Really enjoyed mine and the shaft drive was exceptional. Good economy as well.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers, Brad.

Suzuki stays top of the list as dry weight is only 383lbs (174 kg). This is less than the Matchless! They are also cheap and as a parallel twin I'd guess easier for me to do anything that needs doing.

But I'll take a look!

Johnny B

PS none on Ebay or Autotrader.