Mechnically sound touring motorcycle under £1000

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Mechnically sound touring motorcycle under £1000

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Each of my sons has had a not so new, bought second hand 650cc Kawasaki ER6N ('N' = Naked, no fairing). One is 5' 6" the other 6' 2" and they both find them comfortable. One has commuted 40 miles every day all year round for 9 years (same machine) and the other quite a bit less. The ER6N is also 174kg and both have been faultless, just annual service and tyres needed. How boring is that?
Here we are setting off to ride to and tour in Spain and ride back a couple of years ago in 8 days with me on my 125 Honda, (the 'Grudge Special'. 8,200 rpm at 60mph and with five million gear changes! :roll: )
Setting off for Spain. (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid, Cheers.

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just spoke to a chap about a 14.5k miles Yamaha Diversion, first owner, complete with set of panniers and top box fitted and MoT to August. Admittedly 222 miles away but £895.

Seems a genuine chap and the MoT history checks out. Some advisories but nothing that can't be sorted for less than £200 if necessary. Lowest seat height of the four options although heavier than the Suzuki (whose dry weight is less than the G80S).

Just have to sort out getting there, looking at it and getting back. The bike's not far from Guildford.

I wonder if it would fit in the back of the SEAT Alhambra? Should've bought a trailer.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Long way from your place! I've talked around and the best bet seems to be the er5 or the Honda cb500 and no you won't get a heavy bike in your car!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Alan, see my PM. I don't mean the Rover. If the SEAT can take 6 passengers I'd thought that it may only be the height of the bike that would matter. PS Thing is it's fully set up for getting to a rally and well inside my budget, no haggling required.

Further edit - No ER5 or CB500 in budget on either Fleabay or Autotrader.

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Any Club member between Middlesbrough and Guilford that can lend me a motorcycle trailer? Particularly close to Teesside?

I don't want to go down on public transport and find that I don't want the bike after all and have to return on public transport BUT if I drive down in the Rover I'd have to drive back and arrange a courier. I'm a distrustful soul and a lot could happen in the intervening time. Getting it into the SEAT may be a tall order, as Alan Jennings has suggested.

There seems to be no motorcycle trailer hire places around on Teesside.

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just to round things off on this. I bought a 1995 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion. 14,400 miles, genuine, complete with Givi topbox and panniers, MoT until end of August and I'm the second owner.

Just waiting for the oil filter and oil to arrive to change it before taking to the road again.

Thanks for all the advice and support.

Just no rallies to attend anymore this year!

Johnny B
REW

Post by REW »

Collection achieved JB, seems quite a feat in the current climate! I look forward to seeing you on it, from a socially acceptable distance, obviously.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my old Honda CBR, John! Went out on my 31 today for a small ride after having " cabin fever " all week! A beautiful day here in the middle lands!
Alan [Morini] Jennings