Servis tyres

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
adz25

Servis tyres

Post by adz25 »

Hi,

Has anyone tried the budget tyre option on the club spares site?

Servis tyres, looking for any feedback good or bad please before i buy. They are significantly cheaper than the premium brands, and i understand that you get what you pay for!

I have used avon road riders for my other bike, but this is for a little g3l which im building so will be very limited use.

Thanks

Adam
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: Servis tyres

Post by Plugsnpoints »

For the sake of an extra 60 odd quid personally I'd be happier with a trusted tyre make Adam. It's your only contact with the road etc. but you knew that already!

I've got the scars from using crap tyres when money was an issue as a teenager. If you going to all the effort to make it look nice, at this stage it might be false economy no matter how much you'll be using it.

Andy
adz25

Post by adz25 »

Thanks for the reply Andy, I do understand.

It was more judging if anyone else had tried them seeing as they were being sold by the club, looking online theres not much info regarding their use in the UK.

As you say it is probably worth spending the extra.

Thanks

Adam
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

They are budget tyres much in the same way are Mitas etc. They come out of much bigger well known factories but without the added name or price hike. For occasional use like most use their bikes, pottering back lanes etc they'd be fine. That said I've run economy Mitas throughout EU fully loaded without issues and in some seriously atrocious weather. The rears wear out in approx 3000 miles the front's seem to take double the distance before wear becomes an issue. If I was on a more powerful bike a looking for more cornering grip I'd go premium brand but pottering locally or to the occasional show, I'd use them.
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

If they are comparable with Mitas I would give them a go. I have used Mitas on all but one of my bikes for the past ten years, and on one or two occasions there is no doubt thay have saved me from over cooking it on corners wet and dry. I have used a top brand front and back on my G15/45 and feel less confident than on Mitas tyres. I will give the club tyres a go next time I need a set, nothing much to loose if you take time to get the feel of them.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ray.woolford wrote: I have used Mitas on all but one of my bikes for the past ten years, ……….
Yep, but only because you like chatting up the Mitas lady at Kempton autojumble...………
2016-05-20 Kempton May 21 2016 010 (640x480).jpg
and you always come away happy.
2016-05-20 Kempton May 21 2016 034 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Yes Neville he was, but her hubby is watching him.
Mitas are fairly soft, are the Servis similar?
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

You and that ruddy camera of yours is going to get you into so much trouble one day. By the way the young lady I am talking to is Amy the tyre mans daughter not his wife.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

39speedtwin wrote:Mitas are fairly soft, are the Servis similar?
Try a set and report back.

Failing that I'm hoping our crash test dummy will be using a set on the Slovenia run.

My tyres are new so I 't need any for that jaunt, will want some when I get back though as they'll only just last the journey on the rear end.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

They look very fine for a classic bike. When I had my wheels rebuilt, CWC did fit DUNLOP UNIVERSAL 82 TT (made in France !), and they are fine with a good looking, for £ 130 Inc VAT. Obviously SERVIS tyres have a really good appearance for 50 to 60 bikes, for only £ 90.