cleaning off iron filings ..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

cleaning off iron filings ..

Post by Taid »

I am doing a bit of work on the rear numberplate carrier and there's a lot of iron filings .. obviously not the best of stuff to leave around in the damp ..

Wondering the best way to clear/neutralize them .. my basic plan is to wash of in petrol (maybe two-stroke mix) and then spray with WD40 in all the crooks and nannies ..

or is there a better way?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Mick D

Re: cleaning off iron filings ..

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Buy yourself a neodymium magnet and put it inside a polythene bag - pass the magnet over the work and it will attract all of the loose ferrous particles.

Bonus is that you'll find loads more uses for the magnet - I use them for securing items when spray painting.

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Buy yourself a neodymium magnet and put it inside a polythene bag - pass the magnet over the work and it will attract all of the loose ferrous particles.

Bonus is that you'll find loads more uses for the magnet - I use them for securing items when spray painting.

Regards Mick

Makes sense .. thanks .. proves yet again there's no substitute for knowing what you are doing .. :beer:
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
clive

Post by clive »

Taid wrote:
.. proves yet again there's no substitute for knowing what you are doing .. :beer:
So that's what I am doing wrong!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix