What is the best lubricant for the swinging arm

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Goss

Re: What is the best lubricant for the swinging arm

Post by Goss »

I have got a grease nipple on mine so that's I will do fill it with grease thank you all for your feed back
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Im a little puzzled as to why you asked the question in the first place, Goss. You must have had your doubts about using grease to have brought it up :roll:

Steve
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The bushes are "oilite", they absorb the oil and lubricate the movement against the pin, you can grease them but don't expect them to last.

Some owners fit a grease nipple as they find it easier to install and remove than the screw.
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Pumping in heavy grease may still not get it where it is needed, far better with either a heavy grade oil or if you want to use grease use a fluid grease of the type used in bevel gears in strimmers and other garden machinery.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

It really isn't difficult to fill the reservoir with 140 oil, I use a 60ml syringe, available from ebay, and repeat until oil comes from the filler hole. Remember to clean the plunger and cylinder after use to prevent the oil from softening the rubber if you want to use the syringe again.
If you have a grease nipple you only need to remove it for filling and replace once done or refit the correct screw and washer. It takes five minutes at most. My dad's bike, bought new in 1955, has only had 140 oil in the reservoir and the bushes are the originals with no wear apparent.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

The owner's manuals are often amazing:
"The hinge has plain bearings lubricated....wich is sufficient to last almost indefinitely. Provision is, however, made for replenishment. ... On a new machine oïl may leaks from this bearings. There is no consequence and the leakage will cease after a few hundreds miles have been covered. "

Now I know why I have to fill the "reservoir" every two months: I did not run enough kilometers to stop the leaks !

I must say that I use oïl SAE 90/140, because the straight SAE 140 has become impossible to find, here in France. May be with SAE 140 leaks would be less important.
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Using grease in the AMC swingarm bearings is the classic mistake to make. Norton Commando owners are well drilled not to commit this cardinal sin. The problem is not being able to monitor the oil content. I recommend fitting a piece of copper pipe, threaded 1/4 BSF & screwed into the oil cap. Fit a length of clear plastic pipe with an air tight plug in the end (I use a 1/4 bolt to plug it up). You can then see the oil level decrease & top up easily then required. Fill with normal type oil can (SAE140). Fitted this on several Commandos & on my G80CS & N15CS. Problem solved.
John Marshall
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello gents,
I am now convinced to keep SAE 140 oil as a lubricant for the S.A.
I have found 1 Litre of CASTROL CLASSIC 140 D, API GL3, suitable for the purpose for € 21.89 delivered at home.
According the manual, the reservoir contains 42.6 cc, so I can refill it 23.5 times with this lovely tin can.
But I am still puzzled : according the manual 42.6 cc are sufficient to last almost indefinitely, even if leaks may appear...
I'm hesitant : should I put this item in my wish list for Christmas ?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Look on the positive side and think of how many more AMC machines you can buy and already have the oil ready for.
Keep the spare 21.3cc safe for those mid-season top-ups, the 'no leak' claim might just be a myth - or wishful thinking. :D

Steve
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Excellent advice Steve !
Castrol tin can is now on my Christmas wish list !
In a few week I will know if my wish has been granted...
And if that's the case, I'll have to find a use for these 1000 cc of SAE 140.
Cheers.