Wiring protection ..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Wiring protection ..

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote:....don't you have any pictures of anyone else Neville ?
Well you do rack up a lot of miles, so having more incidents than many is inevitable.
(Nothing to do with riding with me, obviously).

Just like that blistering hot day in France when I assured 'Resto Ray' that in that quiet road he was unlikely to be seen changing from his heavy textiles into his jeans. :rofl:
CIMG5116 (480x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

It's quite obvious that we have to be careful when Neville's around!
Groily

Post by Groily »

I think the picture is slightly over-exposed . . .
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Mick D wrote:Hi Rob
Each to his own of course but advising against fitting a fuse for the reasons you suggest is pretty flawed.
Whole heartedly agree with Mick here. I suspect the recommended lack of fusing by the manufacturers and probably the also "The Prince of Darkness" all those years ago was based primarily on: 1) saving money 2) the lack of small suitable fuses and housings and 3) a good deal of trusting to luck.

The very significant current (far higher than the max dynamo or alternator current) that can be drawn from even a small motorcycle battery when shorted out is highly likely to destroy the insulation on the effected cables and then cause a fire. Why on earth would/could anyone possibly think a fuse for the battery was not a most sensible safety precaution?

The first thing I did when I purchased my AJ a couple of years ago when I found the battery was not fused was to fit one!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Group Leader wrote: The very significant current (far higher than the max dynamo or alternator current) that can be drawn from even a small motorcycle battery when shorted out is highly likely to destroy the insulation on the effected cables and then cause a fire.
Yes, very high.
I have a Cylcon 6V 5Ah sealed lead acid in my '54 G3lS which together with a 10A fuse plus a spare fuse easily fits inside the original battery box. According to the spec'n the short circuit current is 600 amps.
2019-11-19 006.JPG
It has sat unused but disconnected for more than 6 months and when I checked it last week it was reading 6.24V.
Oh, and the Spec'n sheet was clipped to the invoice - believe it or not, it's now 13 years old.
2019-11-19 004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

And just to prove that it fits..........(new post as only 3 photos can be added to a post).
2019-11-20 Burlen 6V 5Ah battery 009.JPG
2019-11-20 Burlen 6V 5Ah battery 008.JPG