New S.A. bronze bushes - Sintered, or not ?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
JEAN-NOEL

New S.A. bronze bushes - Sintered, or not ?

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

I have the 0100090 bronze bushes in the swinging arm renewed in the 90'. I use SAE 140 oïl to lubricate the swinging arm, but it seeps in a few days, along the frame rails and the centre stand. If the bushes are really sintered ones, it make sense to use oïl. But if the new bushes from AMOC Parts are made of regular bronze, i think to use now a mix of fluid grease and graphogen, for instance, with a grease gun, to avoid these bad leaks. Does someone has an idea ?
Iron Head

Re: New S.A. bronze bushes - Sintered, or not ?

Post by Iron Head »

Hello Jean-Noel whilst I obviously cannot name the company I work on a daily basis with the worlds biggest supplier of sintered bronze and can do some research for you. Assume you are talking about the oil-filled swinging arm? What did the factory fit originally? As I'm sure you know, the sintered concept is that the bush holds its own lubricant reserve although, I am sure they can be used with a lubricant supply as well albeit will possibly ‘wick' lubricant if there are no seals and an oil supply.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Salut Jean-Noel, where does the oil leak from, mine leaks from the end cap, not the bush which I renewed but I failed to check the end cap seal and now it leaks out but I really don't want to remove all the chaincase to fix the leak! :roll: If you have no play in the bush/swinging arm pin then you may find it is the cap. If you pump grease in there it may be too thick to enter the moving parts. How about semi liquid grease for gearboxes? It might run into the articulation but not out of it!
A+ Dave.
PGGuse

Post by PGGuse »

I'm using SAE 90 oil after attempting some "improvements" as to the pics
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Yes Andy, I am speaking about the oïl filled swinging arm. Yes originally the factory did fit sintered bushes. Hence my question : are the replacement spares made of sintered stuff, or regular bronze.
Dave : the oïl seeps from the bushes (felt gaskets) not from the end cap, and there is no excessive play between the bushes and the swinging arm pin. Yes, semi liquid grease, as for old gearboxes might be a good option.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Thank you Paul. Have you really no leaks with EP 90 ? I am amazed.
PGGuse

Post by PGGuse »

Components of bearing replacement were new felt rings, processed by water soaking, freezing and compressing, thus easy installation – no leak at all since, (except..... :mrgreen: )
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Can't answer the query on the composition of the new bushes but can say that I 'loaded' the felt seals with heavy grease and once installed put a tie wrap around them to compress them slightly - seems to be working as desired and preventing the SAE 140 leaking out.

Sealed my end caps with the paper gaskets and silicone.

I've also heard of people substituting the felt seals with O rings.

Regards Mick
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

@ Paul : I haven't your tools, nor your skillfull !
@ Mick : I have also sealed my end caps with silicone, and here no leaks.

Your idea to wrap the grease soaked felt gaskets with a tie is excellent, since that solves the problem, and O rings could be an another good solution.

But in both cases it is necessary to dismantle the swinging arm ...

I am amazed to see how a so small amount of oïl (filling cap is "at three o'clock") can produce so large ponds ! I filled the S.A. 2 months ago, cleaned the drips every two weeks...Yesterday I went to the shed, and there was again a pond on the lift ! And I am sure that it is SAE 140 because of its so special smell.

Finally I will try semi fluid grease + graphogen for the next season : I don't think that a seizure will happen before a lot of years, if it is a bad solution, and as I am 71 I don't hope to have to renew the bushes myself !