Early Honda Jazz catalytic converter

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Early Honda Jazz catalytic converter

Post by clive »

Totally off topic for the club but if you own an early Honda Jazz be aware the catalytic converters are being stolen as they apparently have a high level of semi-precious metals.
Sadly I parked mine outside the house with both wheels on the curb (standard practice in our narrow road) giving perfect access to the underside. Removed with a dremel or similar. Car will probably be a right off if I claim. Grrr....
Went to my local garage for an estimate and they were able to give me an exact quote as they had already done two replacements that day. :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
cfaber

Re: Early Honda Jazz catalytic converter

Post by cfaber »

FYI this is true for all catalytic converters. They contain platinum and palladium amongst other valuable metals
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
clive

Post by clive »

True Colin but in the UK the Jazz is being specifically targeted because the early models have more of the metals than more modern ones. Unfortunately the registration number gives away the age, although in my case the battered appearance might have given it away.
clive
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

From the BBC website........Sept 20th. 2019............

There has been a huge rise in catalytic converters being stolen from cars in 2019, police in London say.

For the first six months of 2019, the number of thefts of catalytic converters jumped to 2,894, compared to 1,674 thefts for all of 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49767195
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Some time ago there was a spate of catalytic converter thefts locally, at the time I wondered where were they being sold some body must be buying them knowing that they were stolen.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

My neighbour flew back into Heathrow yesterday to find his cat had been stolen from his Toyota while it was parked in the hotel car park, the AA man told him it's a common occurrence these days.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

It's a well publicised fact by the RSPCA - people should not leave cats in cars when parked for prolonged periods.

OK - I'll get my coat
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I was waiting for the comments Mick but thought Spiddler would beat you to it :D

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
clive

Post by clive »

After establishing that the scrap value of the car was about £130 i decided i might as well claim. Ominously the contact from the insurance company is from the Total Loss Unit. Expecting an uneconomic to repair write off
clive
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:After establishing that the scrap value of the car was about £130 i decided i might as well claim. Ominously the contact from the insurance company is from the Total Loss Unit. Expecting an uneconomic to repair write off
I bet the Excess on your policy is more than that.......... :? P'raps you'll end up owing them money.

cbranni wrote:I was waiting for the comments Mick but thought Spriddler would beat you to it :D
Me? :roll: You should know by now that I don't do silly.
However, to reduce the risk of injury to any Essex members tempted to make themselves a few quid they should note the guidance recently issued by their local police:
Essex Lion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'