To indicate or not to indicate?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Ib-Denmark

Re: To indicate or not to indicate?

Post by Ib-Denmark »

PGGuse wrote:
56G80S wrote:Even more dangerous is fitting flashers and then forgetting to cancel them. I fitted a buzzer in the headlamp which activates after a short time and then gradually increases in volume.

Johnny B

I found another solution against forgetting flasher switch-off: https://motogadget.com/shop/de/m-stop-b ... erung.html
It's a tiny flashing relay, called "m-stop" with auto switch-off after 20 seconds operation - very reliable since many years of operation...
Paul in Frankfurt
Hello Paul
Looks very interesting! (For an old man who forget everything).
My German is not that perfect so please tell me if it will work in my 12V LED -system? -positive earth-
regards Ib
McBob

Post by McBob »

Also interested in how Dave fitted his front indicators, very tidy.

Ib, there is a translation button in the top right of that website, EN, here some of what it says

Application as flasher relay (with or without automatic deactivation)

Almost load independent (min. 1 Watt)
Always constant flasher frequency
Therefore suited for almost all LED turn signal lights, all micro and halogen turn signal lights as well as all 10-watts and 21-watts turn signal lights etc.
Ideal for custom bikes and mods with little mounting space - no bulky conventional relay
e. g. works with 4 turn signal lights or 2 handle bar end turn signal lights etc.
Utterly hassle-free connection using only two cables - just connect in series
Also applicable for 6 V turn signal lights
Also applicable as flasher relay WITH AUTOMATIC DEACTIVATION
Ib-Denmark

Post by Ib-Denmark »

McBob wrote:Also interested in how Dave fitted his front indicators, very tidy.

Ib, there is a translation button in the top right of that website, EN, here some of what it says

Application as flasher relay (with or without automatic deactivation)

Almost load independent (min. 1 Watt)
Always constant flasher frequency
Therefore suited for almost all LED turn signal lights, all micro and halogen turn signal lights as well as all 10-watts and 21-watts turn signal lights etc.
Ideal for custom bikes and mods with little mounting space - no bulky conventional relay
e. g. works with 4 turn signal lights or 2 handle bar end turn signal lights etc.
Utterly hassle-free connection using only two cables - just connect in series
Also applicable for 6 V turn signal lights
Also applicable as flasher relay WITH AUTOMATIC DEACTIVATION
THANK YOU
I will certenly consider this.
Ib
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I am very wary of auto cancellation for indicators based on a timer - for example:

Indicators on as you approach a four way junction with the intention of turning right, stop to allow crossing traffic to clear, indicators cancel, continue the manoeuvre under the impression you are still indicating and an oncoming vehicle pulls out in front because he believes you were going straight on.

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I am very wary of auto cancellation for indicators based on a timer - for example:

Regards Mick
Look at the ST2 auto-cancel unit

T
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Just fitting indicators to my 1956 G3LS. I intend to ride the bike and want to keep living a little more to extract as much as possible from the company's pension scheme. I'm planning on two circuits, i.e, original harness (6v), plus separate for indicators (LED). This enables quick swop over to original sidelights, etc should I decide to show the bike. The indicators were bough on line for £20 a pair. They were matt black, so I striped them down and sprayed them gloss to match the bike. The diameter of the threaded stems are slightly smaller than the original sidelights, but I increase the size with a small piece of rubber pipe, which helps to make a snug fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I've got a set of them to put on Project Kate.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
PGGuse

Post by PGGuse »

Ib-Denmark wrote:
McBob wrote: Ib, there is a translation button in the top right of that website, EN, here some of what it says

THANK YOU
I will certenly consider this.
Ib
Hello Ib,
McBob was quicker than me, so your questions are sorted ;-)
In addition: The attached "mstop manual" PDF file is consisting of 2 (two) pages, and page 2 is written in english!
Regards from another old man :mrgreen:
Paul
Last edited by PGGuse on Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

I fully agree with the idea of fitting indicators to old machines to increase the riders safety and indeed I've thought about fitting them to my bikes on a number of occasions.

However, dare one suggest that the best form of indicator cancellation device should be the thing sitting on the saddle, feet on the footpegs and hands on the handle bars that adapts to each individual situation?

Does one forget to: look in the mirror/behind, accelerate, brake, look out for the many road-muppets(very dangerous!), change gear and, if appropriate, set the ignition and air correctly as you proceed?

Is it not all part of driving "the particular machine"? Unfortunately lapses of driver (car, bike, lorry etc) concentration are becoming the norm rather than the exception on our busy roads - just look at the number of idiots who still persist in using mobile phones, texting and surfing the net when they should be concentrating on the road ahead. The situation is not helped when car manufacturers now make a point of high-lighting features to "help you" when your concentration lapses in their adverts. The best gadgets would be to prevent the lapses in the first place rather than gadgets to mask them!

I'm a great believer in Darwin but unfortunatly his theory completely breaks down when it comes down to motoring. Frankly I wouldn't care if somone using a mobile phone, for example, careered off of the road, hit a tree and killed themselves. I'd call that justice even if it was a little harsh. Unfortunately there is generally always collateral damage to innocent parties from such events caused by the actions of those people. Those innocent parties are often the most vulnerable of road users including motorcyclists. That isn't to say all motorcyclists are Saints, they are far from it and sometimes they are their own worst enemies when you see some of their antics on the road!

Anyway, just a thought ....
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Sorry Group Leader, I can't agree with that at all. If you fit indicators and don't have any buzzer etc, you will forget and leave them on. You have only to go on any club run to see those who don't have a warning buzzer, riding on for miles indicating away until someone reminds them to turn them off!
Dave.