Noise 'cameras' - there's nowt new

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Greybeard

Noise 'cameras' - there's nowt new

Post by Greybeard »

I came a cross this article whilst browsing my through my 'nostalgia pile' and thought it may amuse/bemuse/surprise you folks. Once more the wheel has been re-invented - or at least a way of getting at the owner of said wheel has ;)

Steve
Noise 1.jpg
Noise 2.jpg
Noise 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Re: Noise 'cameras' - there's nowt new

Post by spookefoote1956 »

There's one planned near us. Seeing as I'm exempt I'm going to sit there for half an hour tuning the beast. That'll confuse the s*ds!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I love the second paragraph where some considered mirrors are for sissies!
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Back in the sixties I was fined for noise. It was late at night in Orpington High St, Kent and I was riding a Norton 650SS with goldie silencers. I must admit to giving it some wellie but the noise was amplified even more in an empty high st echoing round the shop fronts and doorways.
PC plod stepped off the pavement in front of me and shone his torch - good job the brakes were ok!
The charge was "causing excessive noise which could have been minimised by careful driving". £60 fine and no points.
So you can be fined without any measuring equipment if the police consider you are making too much noise.

BTW I know someone who has a La France vintage fire engine which never had silencers fitted from new - just straight pipes. If that is the way it was built then AFAIK that is the way you can run it. I wonder what the outcome will be if he runs that past a noise camera.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

A £60 fine was a lot of money back in the 1960s!
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

In 1979 I bought a Laverda Montjuic, a road legal(ish) proddy racer. Full race cams, two enormous Dellorto pumper carbs and an open megaphone race exhaust system. It was noisy!! On the road between Watton and Dereham in Norfolk (travelling considerably faster than I should have been), I was flagged down by one of our boys in blue and directed into a layby. They just wanted to know what the hell it was.... they'd never seen one before (unsuprisingly). After some time spent chatting, I was let on my way after promising to try and keep the noise down and stay within the speed limit... Some chance!!
Bike024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Pharisee wrote:In 1979 I bought a Laverda Montjuic, a road legal(ish) proddy racer. Full race cams, two enormous Dellorto pumper carbs and an open megaphone race exhaust system. It was noisy!! On the road between Watton and Dereham in Norfolk (travelling considerably faster than I should have been), I was flagged down by one of our boys in blue and directed into a layby. They just wanted to know what the hell it was.... they'd never seen one before (unsuprisingly). After some time spent chatting, I was let on my way after promising to try and keep the noise down and stay within the speed limit... Some chance!!
Bike024.jpg
That brings back memories. I knew two local lads who owned Montis in 1985. One still owns one (with 600 barrels if I remember).

I had a Guzzi 850 T3 aged 21 then. Racing back from the pub on Saturday afternoons. I had the Guzzi up to an indicated 120mph, the Montjuic flew past me! Gorgeous, light and quick with sure handling. :)
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

thornebt wrote:A £60 fine was a lot of money back in the 1960s!
Certainly was! On my Bantam in '63 I was chased along Brighton seafront by a very bolshie copper in a Panda car (pale blue Morris Minor) then I tried to lose him around the backstreets, finally getting done for 45mph. A £5 fine, (more than my weeks wages as an apprentice motor mechanic) plus an endorsement.
2018-07-10 First Driving licence 004.JPG
2018-07-10 First Driving licence 002.JPG
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Plugsnpoints wrote: I had a Guzzi 850 T3 aged 21 then. Racing back from the pub on Saturday afternoons. I had the Guzzi up to an indicated 120mph, the Montjuic flew past me! Gorgeous, light and quick with sure handling. :)
I had mine tuned even further by Cropredy Motorcycles who at the time looked after the the production racing Jotas. Stupid thing to do, really, with hindsight. It would hit the red line at 10,200 in top gear... approximately 131mph. Incredibly fast for a 500cc machine back then. I had the best and worst of motorcycling on that bike but could only live with it for a couple of years. Howling along Six Mile Bottom in the early hours of a summer morning was magic.... Trying to get it through Wimbledon on a Saturday afternoon was an absolute nightmare!! It wouldn't run cleanly below 3000 rpm (30mph in 1st gear) and had very little power until you hit 6000 then all hell broke loose. Slipping the clutch overheated it, making it drag and made finding neutral almost impossibe. Ho hum.... In my defense, yer honour, I was young!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
thornebt wrote:A £60 fine was a lot of money back in the 1960s!
Certainly was! On my Bantam in '63 I was chased along Brighton seafront by a very bolshie copper in a Panda car (pale blue Morris Minor) then I tried to lose him around the backstreets, finally getting done for 45mph. A £5 fine, (more than my weeks wages as an apprentice motor mechanic) plus an endorsement.
2018-07-10 First Driving licence 004.JPG
2018-07-10 First Driving licence 002.JPG
Ha ha! My mum was pregnant with me on that date! :lol: