Tyre preferences please.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

Re: Tyre preferences please.

Post by MalcW »

Avon Roadriders work very well on my Model 31.

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plugsnpoints wrote: I am a very cautious and steady rider these days. I am looking for something that could improve the handling as I'm not entirely happy with the tyres I have on it. I never thrash my bikes
Same for me; tyre performance has little to do with grip for high speed cornering or rocket acceleration. It's more to do with grip in emergency situations, e.g. when a dozy driver pulls out in front of me from a side road. When I bought my Chinese bike it had rock hard Indian made tyres which according to owner websites lasted nearly as long as the bikes. I had the dealer replace them with Avons. Perhaps the rubber of the Indian tyres became softer in their higher ambient temperatures, or maybe they are just cheap to fit.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I'd tend to agree with Rob H - I have the "classic" skidmaster and SM on my G15/45 (18" rear rim) and Model 18, Mitas front and rear on G12 and Road riders on the G15 with no handling problems on any of them. Being of somewhat larger stature I use 35psi rear and 32psi front on all of them.
If your 600 has the full valanced mudguards you may have issues with clearance using roadriders and need to use the narrower profile.
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

I am using Heidenau K44 (front) and K34 (rear) on a couple of motorcycles and have found them to be very good. See their website under motorcycle/vintage.
They are very 'hairy' and show how far over, or not, you are leaning on the bends!
raffles

Post by raffles »

Andy
I am the guy who fitted the mitas to your bike I love them however I run them at different pressures than
any one else 32in the front 28 in the back it handles like a dream and I am not known to hang about
yes you will only get 3,000 from the rear but at the price you can get two for the price of the others
and of course many people will never do enough miles to wear them out
Tony
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

raffles wrote:Andy
I am the guy who fitted the mitas to your bike I love them however I run them at different pressures than
any one else 32in the front 28 in the back it handles like a dream and I am not known to hang about
yes you will only get 3,000 from the rear but at the price you can get two for the price of the others
and of course many people will never do enough miles to wear them out
Tony
Thanks Tony, that's much appreciated. On the single I pump them up to 28 Front and 30 on the rear and it's fine on the Avons at 55mph!

I'll experiment with those pressures on the 600. I'm not too bothered about the mileage, I just wanted to improve the handling a little.

Andy
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Avon Roadriders at 28 front and 32 rear, bit more on the way to rallies!

Back in the day I used K70's on the Trumper Saint but it's been Avons for a oong, long time now. Glad I took notice of others on the forum regarding upping the pressures.

Johnny B
owen

Post by owen »

I have tried many brands over the years, I tend to ride a little on the faster pace, but carefully, There has been little difference to choose from on dry roads, But found Avon better on wet roads. Cheers Owen
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i have mitas tyres front and rear on my 600 twin , 4.00x19 rear and 3.50x19 front .
same as everyone else says in that rear tyre lasts a couple of years and the front hardly wears at all , must be the amount of weight on the rear and the power of the engine that affect the rear .

seems ok on my AJS with 28psi but on my ARIEL leader i have same type of rear tyre but it needed up to 40psi in it to keep the rear end rigid as it seemed to wander about on lower pressures like it had a rear puncture forming .

handling and grip are fine with the mitas so long as pressures are high enough ,although width of tyre is narrower than some of the older british made tyres .
if you have limited space in swinging arm or front forks gap then can use mitas in original sizes and they wont rub out at the sidewall [ariel leader front has such an issue but mitas fit fine on that bike] .

for a jampot that should be using 3.50x19 rear id use a 4.00x19 in the mitas size as it more resembles the original tyre width in that particular make of tyre .
arty

Post by arty »

Hi
Has anybody got suggestions for tyre pressures for my recently completed g80 trials rep. fitted with Mitas trials tyres, 3.00x19 front, 4.00x19 rear, for road use only.
Arty