Lights or no lights to ride on the road??

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Re: Lights or no lights to ride on the road??

Post by Janet »

Bobsteve wrote: Lights have never been fitted so looks like it's just a reflector, plate and speedo and I'm good to go. Happy days
If you aren't having any lights, you don't need a reflector either. Obvious really. If you don't need to show a light, there's no reason to reflect one.

>>mummy mode on<< Don't forget, though, if the weather takes a turn for the worse when you're out, or visibility is reduced, such as riding under dense trees, legally you should have lights on, even during the day. >>mummy mode off<<
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Sadly, as the law stands you need a reflector regardless if you have lights or not, that's my interpretation of the laws, but there again I could be wrong as I often am :D

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Janet

Post by Janet »

cbranni wrote:Sadly, as the law stands you need a reflector regardless if you have lights or not, that's my interpretation of the laws, but there again I could be wrong as I often am :D

Colin
You're probably right. I get my information from the government legislation website (Yes, it is one of my 'favourites') but what do they know?

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, Part 1 Regulation 4(c),
(3) Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to–

(a)a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp,

(b)an incomplete vehicle proceeding to a works for completion,

(c)a pedal cycle,

(d)a pedestrian-controlled vehicle,

(e)a horse-drawn vehicle,

(f)a vehicle drawn or propelled by hand, or

(g)a combat vehicle.

(4) Without prejudice to regulation 16, for the purposes of these Regulations a lamp shall not be treated as being a lamp if it is–

(a)so painted over or masked that it is not capable of being immediately used or readily put to use; or

(b)an electric lamp which is not provided with any system of wiring by means of which that lamp is, or can readily be, connected with a source of electricity.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Well Janet that has sorted that question out, you don't need a reflector, thank you.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Bobsteve

Post by Bobsteve »

Ok guys so it looks like I fit into category ( a) unless I wear cammo gear and fit a machine gun to it I can fit into category (g) 😂
Ive been on so many sites and legislation sites it's a bloody mine field 🤦‍♂️
So to clarify, reading this Janet, we think no lights or reflector are required?? 🤞
Janet

Post by Janet »

Correct.