How big a nut!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Angelo

How big a nut!

Post by Angelo »

Can anyone tell me the thread size and pitch of the front spindle wheel nut on a 1947 AJS 16M - 7 inch hub not full width model.

Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: How big a nut!

Post by Rob Harknett »

Check your parts list. If its STD 1 its 1/2 x 26 tpi cycle thread. You need to use its new part number to order by 000001.
I've said this so many times here, most sizes are given for STD or the new pt. no. which would start with at least 3 zero's eg 000001 to 000999. Find those sizes by looking at a conversion book of old to new / new to old pt. no's You will also need that book to covert all the old part pre 1952 numbers to post 51 new numbers, for ordering. ( AMC started that in 1952 ) I put the file top of the list here. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ements.pdf
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Cheers Rob I didn't know that - very helpful.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Angelo wrote:Cheers Rob I didn't know that - very helpful.
You will note in the pt. no. conversion list Amal and Burman parts kept the same numbers. Many parts were still in use post war that date back to the late 1920's. So if you need a part for a pre 1952 bike, see if its old number converts to a new pt. no. Then search suppliers via the new number. If you ask via the old part number, the person may just reply, no we have not got that part. Kettering ( club spares ) have put many people on to me for parts, when I have checked, they may have had most parts wanted in stock. But not found as the new part number was needed to find the part on the system.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Hi all thanks for the replies - as an update - the spindle j used had a small minor ding on the thread so the nut wouldn't thread up - a mate looked on a lathe, reverse drive and a thread chaser and all is good.