My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I use a Yuasa 6N11A-1B, fits perfectly. The battery was originally retained with a rubber strap and packed with foam pads - all available if yours have been lost.

Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Thanks Mick, I had found on the forum discussions about 6v and 10+ah being recommended but I wanted it to fit!
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Centre stand sorted. It had been out on the wrong way round. It's a bugger to get that spring back in isn't it!! :headbang:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Best hope the PO hasn't been inside the engine or brakes
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Now that the centre stand is working, I'm looking at checking over the wheel bearings and brakes.

Fingers crossed :?
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Apologies for lack of updates recently, had a busy time at work.

Rob was very helpful and let me pop round with my mag and dynamo and ran his eye over them for me, got some bits to replace but hopefully nothing too complicated.

Took the front wheel out today, it was a bugger and I ended up having to cut the brake cable as it was all seized up! I need to work out how to get into the brake drum now so I can check the shoes.

The headstock bearings feel like they are the shape of 50p's so that is another can of worms that I have to open :headbang: Are the headstock bearings difficult to get at?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Grip the wheel spindle at the non brake side in a vice and remove this nut - the brake plate complete with shoes springs, cam etc. will then slide off of the spindle
Brake Plate Nut.png
The steering head bearing races have been unavailable for some time, (unless a new source has been found), don't worry too much at this point, dis-assemble the steering head and clear them of old grease, take of any corrosion from the races with abrasive pads, (Scotchbrite), and get a new set of balls if necessary. They probably be usable if not perfect.

Regards Mick

Sorry, mis-read your post :oops:

The headstock bearings are accessed by removing the fork stanchion top nuts, releasing the pinch bolt on the top yoke, removing the bearing adjuster and lock nut in the centre of the top yoke - then, if you're lucky the top yoke can be tapped upwards off of the stanchions allowing the lower yoke and forks to be withdrawn down out of the frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

That's great, thanks Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

A great day today, the DVLA have come up trumps and provided me with a v5 and a number plate!!!!!!

No inspection needed, thanks to the advice from the club dating service, sent in lots of photos and the first I heard from the DVLA was my docs in the post!!

One big hurdle overcome. :)
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

No inspection needed, thanks to the advice from the club dating service, sent in lots of photos and the first I heard from the DVLA was my docs in the post!!

It must be due where you live that's the Second one this week with no inspection. :lol:
Roy