My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
markwhitelock

My first Matchless is here!!

Post by markwhitelock »

My lovely thumper has arrived!!!

She is a bit tatty around the edges but she starts and ticks over nicely. The gearbox needs investigating as I can only select one gear at the moment (I've not tried engaging it with the engine running!). The kick start keeps hitting the exhaust and getting jammed against it as well. The alternator is seized as well so that needs stripping. The list seems endless and I don't really know where to start!

The speedo is in kilometres, does this suggest it was an export model? The engine number starts 56 G80S

The gear box has GB26H55 stamped on it and what looks like V 188 underneath that. I need to try and sort a dating certificate for the dvla as I don't have a v5 or plate on it.

Any advice on how to start this mammoth task would be gratefully received!

56G80S

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Mark, folloowing up prevoius PM's, looks good to me. Right toolbox, oil tank and front mudguard. Can't see in the pics if you have the numberplate part on the QD rear wheel mudguard. In my experience it's the tinware that's more of a problem than the mechanics.

B52 is what it should have. There is no alternator, they didn't come until 1957, you have a dynamo and it should be the short one 42 Watt. I can't see clearly in the photos but doesn't look like the SR1 magneto, which would be the right one. In my experience, they work really well, particularly with the BrightSpark condensor replacement and would be my choice in any case.

Best wishes with it.

Johnny B
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Oh my gawd! Most people will never understand why we buy rusty old machinery like this. My old man always bought 'projects' like this home, it's what I always remember.

For the same price you could buy a bike off the shelf, which comes with a three year guarantee, starts, brakes properly, you can see where you're going at night and never get your hands dirty etc. etc...

However-where's the fun in that? This machine will provide months and years of fun and/or therapy-you decide.

I love it. You'll get years of satisfaction from that machine. Good luck with it. :)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

First you must get the literature for your bike. Parts list, Instruction book, workshop manual. You will find it here. http://www.archives.jampot.dk Check out your local club section, you will find them very friendly and helpful. The bike has been fitted with the wrong mag. That is not really a problem. I does have a manual control lever.
Check the gearbox oil level, spray the clutch mechanism inside with WD 40. Then try selecting gears with the engine running. 1st is up, the 2,3 & 4 down. They do not like selecting without the engine running. Check the silence bracket is not bent causing the kick starter to foul it. Don't worry too much about cosmetics, honest un restored bikes are becoming rare. Dynamo may only need the armature cleaning, also all wiring joints , earths and connections cleaned to make good contact. Club dating officer will advise you requirements to register the bike, when its ready.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Cheers guys, that's really helpful, at least I have a starting point!

I've looked through the archives and downloaded some of the literature, some of the manuals don't seem to cover the 1956 model, the main manual that I found started with 1957 bikes! Would there be many differences?

Mark
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If this is going to be an 'oily rag' restoration all you need to do is ensure it's roadworthy and the systems function.

My immediate concern would be the fact you state the generator is seized yet the engine runs, something is wrong here, the dynamo receives it's drive via a chain in the primary chain case and if the engine is running the dynamo should be spinning. You need to look inside the primary chain case and ascertain why the dynamo is not spinning.

From the numbers you list, the engine was manufactured in 1956 and the gearbox August 1955.

When I carry out a restoration I find it helpful to list all of the issues I find and wish to resolve, this helps me to schedule the jobs, manage a budget and the acquisition of parts - crossing the jobs off as they are completed is a good way of seeing progress is being made. My current restoration 'To Do' list runs to over 90 entries.

Have fun Mick
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Mark,
That looks great. If I can be of help, do, please, ask as I'm only up the road. I'm not as knowledgeable as most of those on here, especially with which parts were fitted for each year, but I do know quite a bit about them and would be happy to help. I'm jealous!
All the best
Mark
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Thanks for the offer, Mark, I will definitely take you up on the offer to pop over, I will need to see how much time my wife will allow me to tinker over the weekend!

Regarding the dynamo, the previous owner wanted to sell the bike with a running engine, he mentioned something about removing a chain to the dynamo I think, does this sound right?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

markwhitelock wrote:Regarding the dynamo, the previous owner wanted to sell the bike with a running engine, he mentioned something about removing a chain to the dynamo I think, does this sound right?
Hi

Yes that explains it - my concern was that the dynamo seizure had broken the chain and that it was lying and waiting to snag in the chain case.

Regards Mick
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

[quote="markwhitelock"]Thanks for the offer, Mark, I will definitely take you up on the offer to pop over, I will need to see how much time my wife will allow me to tinker over the weekend!

P.S. Don't do what I did years ago is my advice. I brought my Guzzi 1000 in the front room for a year to work on it as it was cozy in there.

I have no idea why she buggered off!!