My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
markwhitelock

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by markwhitelock »

Today was a fantastic day. After ‘solving' the carb issue which turned out to be user error on the choke, I filled up the tank and took her out for a 15 mile bimble. Like every good women she wobbled and bounced around, and I had the biggest grin on my face that I think I have ever had on a motorcycle!

I stretched her legs up to an indicated 60, (not sure how accurate that was!) and she didn't miss a beat. Yes, I changed down a gear instead of up, yes, I mistook the gear lever for the back brake, but what a joy to ride! A few little teething issues to sort, she doesn't seem to be charging, and the idle is a bit high when hot, but I can't get it to lower. When I stopped she sat smoking for a couple of minutes (normal?).

I am so grateful to the forum and especially to Mr Swift and Ajsm18 in Fordingbridge for putting up with my visits, messages, and tool hire! This is exactly why these forums and clubs need to continue. I hope to see many of you on the road soon, the Hampshire club is my local so I'm hoping as lock down eases there might be a meet up that I make it to. I suppose this brings the thread and my oily rag restoration to a close!

Cheers

Mark :beer:

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Well done, good boy. I'll see you when you can't get your head round the charging. The carb not lowering is either due to the cable being too tight or more than likely the carb is worn and too much air is being sucked in and the slide sticking against the carb body. :beer: :beer: :beer:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

markwhitelock wrote:the idle is a bit high when hot, but I can't get it to lower.
Hi

You need to adjust the throttle cable so there is a small amount of slack, around 1/16" Then you should be able to wind out the throttle screw to adjust the tick over, as you bring the tick over down keep adjusting the throttle cable to maintain the slack.

Bring the tick over down on the throttle screw to a point where it just self sustains then adjust the pilot air screw in or out for fastest tick over. Repeat the process until you have a steady acceptable tick over.

Regards Mick
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Well done, Mark!
Strangely, I was out on my '47 Model 18 yesterday evening, and even rode past your house but didn't see you. We will have to arrange a ride one of these evenings. You'll have to slow down for me, though, mine doesn't get anywhere near even an indicated 60!
All the best
Mark
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Looking good Mark! Great achievement :)

Andy