My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
BeenyBoy

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by BeenyBoy »

I've also just got my first Matchless---and compared to mine yours looks concours !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I have a spare can of Mr Sheen you can borrow! (Other polish types are available)
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

BeenyBoy wrote:I've also just got my first Matchless---and compared to mine yours looks concours !!
What a great registration number on it as well! :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

BeenyBoy wrote:I've also just got my first Matchless---and compared to mine yours looks concours !!
Welcome to the Club and Forums Mike.
With very little effort it'll look as good as one of Chairman Roy's many restorations and much travelled machines.
Roy's 2012 restoration for Scottish rally (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
BeenyBoy

Post by BeenyBoy »

Thanks guys... yes..very apt reg number... I'll make a start on it when I've finished the current project...1954 BSA C11G....
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Updates!

So the missing clutch plates are back in, the basket was the right size to take them all. However, I couldn't get the clutch to operate. I had a nagging feeling about the the missing plates and what I had read about the 350 clutch being the same apart from the central basket and the clutch operating rod being shorter. I took out the rod and indeed it was the 350 shorter version. The longer rod is now ordered.

On a positive note, the dating certificate came back from the club, frame, engine, and gear box are all original! That was a nice turn up for the books.

I am having trouble with the centre stand on my bike. The bike is trying to roll forward when it is sat on it, is this common?! I couldn't see anything stopping it from sitting at the right angle, but one leg of the centre stand does looks a little bent. What replacements are available?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Post a photo square on with the bike on the centre stand - the bike should rock forward onto the front wheel when on the centre stand.

You can bend the centre stand cold to restore it's original form but it's easier if you get it to red heat.

My stand in use:
Centre Stand.png
And showing form
C Stand.png
Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

My stand is almost vertical when the bike is on it, a gust of wind and it rolls forward off the stand. I will take some photos tomorrow but I will take it off and check it over.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

markwhitelock wrote:My stand is almost vertical when the bike is on it
Hi

That's wrong, (obviously), but bending normally happens in use and is in the other direction, (bending forward at a greater angle), often due to the bike being kick started on the stand.

Check the stops above the pivot points on the frame and stand have not been 'modified'.
Stand Stops.png
Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Thanks Mick, I will check in the morning.

What 6v battery do people recommend that would fit nicely into the battery holder in the tool box?