The other week I was happily plodding along

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

The other week I was happily plodding along

Post by Plugsnpoints »

on my 350 and couldn't avoid a solid object that had dropped off a vehicle, in the middle of the road. It almost had me off. The tyres stayed up so I carried on, and rode another 100 odd miles in the next week. It dawned on me later how nasty it could've been...

Then someone pointed out that the rear rim was dented. It does have a small but significant flat spot. I hadn't noticed it before and gently rode home, I was hardly going to have it redlining and the valves bouncing, but you get the idea.

I intended to replace the rims at some point as part of the restoration, but not quite so soon. The fella that spotted the dent suggested I knocked it out with a lump of wood. I might have done it years ago to get me to work, but not nowadays-I've had too many hospital visits to count due to a motorbike crash!

I have a proper trueing stand but decided against it as the local wheel builder only wants £50 labour. It would take me days to do one, and although it's a nice idea, I thought that job I could leave to the expert especially for that price.

Anyway, my question is today-what are peoples' preferences when it comes to new rims and spokes? I have the options for either basic chrome which needs to be drilled (causing potential lifting of the chrome around the holes and corrosion), high quality British chrome (pre drilled), or stainless in difference grades of finish.

I was initially going to go for the stainless option-fit and forget. Then an engineer friend pointed out that although stainless will just need a wipe occasionally, stainless has different tensile properties to steel which the bikes had originally.

I am now thinking of settling for British chrome rims with stainless spokes, as I don't intend to sell the bike any time soon-it's far too much fun!

Could I please have your suggestions and experiences on this?

Thank you, Andy
Mick D

Re: The other week I was happily plodding along

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I prefer to use stainless rims and spokes with nickel plated brass nipples - I'm not a fan of chrome rims for the corrosion problem you mention. I've always used The Devon Rim Company, https://www.devonrimcompany.com/, Roltru rims which I've found to be of very high quality. DRC are not the cheapest option but I feel their quality makes up for this.

I build my own wheels, (six to date), and can now complete one in about 4 hours.

Your comment regarding the tensile strength of SS does not concur with your choice of a steel rim and stainless spokes - the rim is in compression, the spokes in tension ;)

To date I've not had any issue with stainless spokes becoming loose or breaking and I've not experienced tyre creep, (which is often cited as another reason not to use SS rims).

Regards Mick
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Morning Andy,

Glad you were unhurt after your mishap.

The combination I use now is British Chrome rims and unpolished stainless spokes from Central Wheel, reason being the spokes don't look so shiny. Can't really tell by the photos how it looks but I like it.

If the rims are painted then I buy plain steel rims

Kind regards Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

I agree with Colin. I have got from CENTRAL WHEEL two brand new wheels (from my original hubs) with british stainless rims, stainless spokes, but nickel plated brass nipples. Very good job, with K82 DUNLOP tyres and MICHELIN tubes fitted.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I'm on my 4th 'restoration'. On my previous three, I've opted for polished stainless rims from CWC (who also fitted new tyres for me at the same time). The current rebuild, my '55 AJS M18S has me pondering. The rims are original Dunlop items that look like they've been rechromed at some time in the past. While not perfect, they are in acceptably good condition with the exception of the black (with a gold pinstripe) paintwork around the centre. I've taken the rim off the hub (stainless spokes) and will have a go at redoing the paintwork. I've never rebuilt a wheel so I'll probably leave that to a professional. Hopefully, I will be able to use these rims and save myself a few quid. If all else fails, it'll be new stainless rims from CWC.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
adz25

Post by adz25 »

I have used devon rim company 3 times now, and they are competatively priced.

I like to ride more than polish so went for the valtru option, but spent 20 minutes on my grinder mounted polishing wheel with results i am more than happy with!

Just my thoughts..

Adam
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Stainless rims and spokes from a company that's not very popular on this forum F*k*d.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Plugsnpoints wrote:on my 350 and couldn't avoid a solid object that had dropped off a vehicle, in the middle of the road. It almost had me off. The tyres stayed up so I carried on, and rode another 100 odd miles in the next week. It dawned on me later how nasty it could've been...

Then someone pointed out that the rear rim was dented. It does have a small but significant flat spot. I hadn't noticed it before and gently rode home, I was hardly going to have it redlining and the valves bouncing, but you get the idea.

I intended to replace the rims at some point as part of the restoration, but not quite so soon. The fella that spotted the dent suggested I knocked it out with a lump of wood. I might have done it years ago to get me to work, but not nowadays-I've had too many hospital visits to count due to a motorbike crash!

I have a proper trueing stand but decided against it as the local wheel builder only wants £50 labour. It would take me days to do one, and although it's a nice idea, I thought that job I could leave to the expert especially for that price.

Anyway, my question is today-what are peoples' preferences when it comes to new rims and spokes? I have the options for either basic chrome which needs to be drilled (causing potential lifting of the chrome around the holes and corrosion), high quality British chrome (pre drilled), or stainless in difference grades of finish.

I was initially going to go for the stainless option-fit and forget. Then an engineer friend pointed out that although stainless will just need a wipe occasionally, stainless has different tensile properties to steel which the bikes had originally.

I am now thinking of settling for British chrome rims with stainless spokes, as I don't intend to sell the bike any time soon-it's far too much fun!

Could I please have your suggestions and experiences on this?

Thank you, Andy
When I was eighteen and going far too fast on my ex army Matchless I hit a large lump of something in the road, the front wheel had a huge dent and the bike carried on to hit a wall with me finishing up in a muddy field. Just for once I had bothered to wear a crash helmet, because it was a cold day, sadly that was the end of a lovely old bike and I got told off for being late for work.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Try Chris Willis, ‘Willis Wheels' an East London & Essex member, works out of North Weald.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

He has just gone on Holiday for 1 week.
Roy