DIY plating kits

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Greybeard

DIY plating kits

Post by Greybeard »

I was a bit sceptical initially but decided to take the plunge and buy a 'ready made' kit from Classic Plating as I had quite few parts that needed doing for my Panther 650 restoration project. I must say that I've been quite pleased with the results. I reckon it has paid for itself already.
These are just a few of the Panther parts
53a.jpg
whilst this is the dynamo body from my AJS M31D/L that I did this afternoon. I've had to order new innards for the dynamo as it had stopped charging altogether and it looks/smells like the armature has given up its fight to produce the 12v required to run the Boyer Brandsen ignition ;) I'm going to rebuild it with 12v components in the hope that it will achieve the required output at lower speeds. If this doesn't work then I'll be looking for a K2F.
AJS Dynamo a.jpg
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
REW

Re: DIY plating kits

Post by REW »

Results look very good, dynamo body especially.

What was the plating metal and how did you power it?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

It's a mix of zinc and nickel, Ron, which gives it a brighter finish than zinc alone but is still a rust resistant coating. Both anodes are in the bath at the same time. I power it from a 12v battery - actually one of those jump starter packs.
The company does a variety of kits including just nickel, copper and a substitute chrome.

Steve
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

It's many years since I had several parts on the Matchless (including a collection of nuts and bolts) zinc plated and this has lasted very well. Perhaps helped by the infrequency of cleaning.

Your results look really good and I applaud your courage in taking the plunge.

But not in the acid pickle I hope.

Johnny B