Fitbit

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
poplargreg

Fitbit

Post by poplargreg »

Like many of us trying to keep healthy, I wear a Fitbit and aim for my 10,000 daily steps. I've noticed that if I go for a 20 mile ride, I fool the device into showing the desired total. Driving my tractor for the same time gets me halfway there, while driving a car has little or no effect.
What conclusions can we infer from this? Probably not that riding a bike provides useful exercise, but just shakes the rider about a lot more than a car does. It would (maybe) be interesting to compare rigid with spring etc.

In any case, don't kid yourself riding to work is providing much useful exercise.
56G80S

Re: Fitbit

Post by 56G80S »

IKBA but I've not seen what a fitbit does that can't be managed perfectly easily with a watch, an idea of distances and the ability to count (pulse rate).

Or perhaps I'm just too tight to move into this kind of expense.

Certainly, riding the bicycle 20 miles seemed to do me quite a lot of good - haha - I know you mean a motorised one.

Good to see you posting again.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Riding an old bike may prove good exercise. Humping and kick starting, pushing it halfway when it breaks down. Then after dinner, half the night fixing faults instead of watching TV asleep.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

I don't know but I'm pretty certain that a Fitbit would contain 1 or more (probably 3) accelerometers and maybe the same number of gyros to detect motion - that's how it can "count" steps (or single cylinder firing strokes :rofl: ). It is almost rocket science ......

Anyway, most watches don't contain such instruments although, of course, the modern Smart Phone does which is why you can get the equivelant apps for your phone. I was using such an app on my phone only the other day to try and measure just how appaling the ride on the train out of St Pancras was.

Lucky I didn't have a hot coffee in my hand is all I can say!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

My AJS 650 gives me approximately 160 steps per mile, on average. So just over 60 miles gets me up to where I need to be.

In fact, looking at the Fitbit weekly statistics, I can get a rough idea of when I went for a ride, and how far! Genius!

Malc