General purpose topics/chat goes in here
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Afternoon gents

I've picked myself up a 1956 G80, expect lots of questions! It is my first Matchless so be gentle!

If I can work out how to post a photo I will do!

Mark
Samuel

Re: New member

Post by Samuel »

Welcome Mark,
I have a 49 G80, I you want to get full value from the members on the website, join the club. Sam
Sam
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Welcome to the club Mark.

I have a 52 G80 on which I've done about 7K miles. Not a huge number but I have other bikes. One thing I learned early on with the Matchless is not to expect too much of it in the way of shiny perfection motorcycling. I spent ages trying to quieten every rattle and stop every oil leak and I found it hard work and very unrewarding.

So, now I just enjoy riding it and ignore the funny noises. On the plus side, these bikes will keep going with quite major problems which can be great if you're a long way from home and something drops off!

Enjoy your Matchless and, if needed, there is tons of useful advice on the forum to help you if you get stuck.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Welcome. I don't think you can post pictures unless you're a member. There's lots of benefits in doing so.

Cheers, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

I've joined the club today, not sure if I've signed up properly on here though. I'm based just south of Salisbury.

One quick question I have is what spanners I need! My other bikes are mainly 70/80s BMWs, so I'm going to have to buy some imperial sized spanners etc but it seems it isn't quite as straight forward with A/F and Whitworth sizes?
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Mark. As a moderator i can confirm you have indeed joined the club, welcome. As yet your forum registration has not quite caught up and as a result your first few posts will not appear until a moderator has approved them. If you don't start seeing member under your website name by the end of next week email the webmaster@jampot.com Meanwhile, after the first few, your posts should start appearing straight away.
Invest in some Whitworth spanners and sockets, on a G80 you ought not to need AF spanners if it has the correct nuts and bolts.
Regards
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

That's great, thanks Clive. I will order some whitworths, the bike runs but is in a very ‘original' condition! It isn't registered either so I am going to need some help with a dating certificate - I'm hoping that will be pretty straight forward though! I intend to keep it in oily rag condition, no expensive restoration for me!

Mark
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

whitey wrote:Afternoon gents

I've picked myself up a 1956 G80, expect lots of questions! It is my first Matchless so be gentle!

Mark
Are you the young man that I spoke to at Netley Marsh and suggested you join straight away? If so then welcome, told you you'd get lots of help from the boys here. :beer: :beer:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

It'll have been through lots of hands. So, like some of the "add on" equipment on my G80S, there may be metric or other nuts and bolts on it - watch out! I'm in the process of changing these to all BSF to keep the toolroll lighter.

Johnny B
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

ajscomboman wrote:
whitey wrote:Afternoon gents

Mark
Are you the young man that I spoke to at Netley Marsh and suggested you join straight away? If so then welcome, told you you'd get lots of help from the boys here. :beer: :beer:
Haha, yes, that was me!
I'm hoping that I haven't picked up a complete dog!
No doubt I will be a regular on here soon!!