Tin chaincase design

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Eamonn
Webmaster

Tin chaincase design

Post by Eamonn »

I've just received an email that asks a question as follows:

Bearing in mind the standard tin chaincase is difficult to seal and get oil tight, has anyone seen or know of a design that splits the chaincase horizontally rather than vertically?
The final drive chaincases on the smaller bikes (James, FB, Lightweights, etc) were split horizontally so why wasn't the same design process used on the primary drive chaincase?
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Re: Tin chaincase design

Post by Rob Harknett »

Had this question asked of me last week. You would still have a joint to seal. Just look at the chain case.
Ashampoo_Snap_03 September 2019_12h10m29s_001_.jpg
If split horizontally, is there enough clearance to raise and drop the two halves, to fit and remove the case. It would also be impossible to fit/ remove screws from the bottom halve from behind the sprockets hold it on the crankcase. If left off you still may not have clearance to drop the bottom half to get it off. Split vertically you only need to remove the alloy band and one nut, to work on clutch chains etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

They seal perfectly well with the American seal that the club spares scheme stocks.
raffles

Post by raffles »

I agree with Ducan however they can not be made totally oil tight because of the holes for the gearbox
shaft and the dynamo drive being unsealed. Of course if the chain case oil level is correct any leakage
from chain thrown oil will be very little
Tony
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

raffles wrote:I agree with Ducan however they can not be made totally oil tight because of the holes for the gearbox
shaft and the dynamo drive being unsealed. Of course if the chain case oil level is correct any leakage
from chain thrown oil will be very little
Tony
If correct, it's only correct when riding on a level road with no bends.